German Death Cards site

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
tdjsmypride

German Death Cards site

Post by tdjsmypride »

Hi Guys,

I have found a neat website that has German Death Cards for sale in the United States. I have looked at the website and the cards are pretty cheep. There are some nice cards mixed in though. Here is the link

http://germandeathcards.com/index.html
knieptang
Enthusiast

Re: German Death Cards site

Post by knieptang »

tdjsmypride wrote:Hi Guys,

I have found a neat website that has German Death Cards for sale in the United States. I have looked at the website and the cards are pretty cheep. There are some nice cards mixed in though. Here is the link

http://germandeathcards.com/index.html
I have found...
*g*

Anyway, thank You for the Link, Steven, well done! :wink:

Regards

Michael
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Firstly thanks for the link.....to your site :shock: .

I must admit though, the first card that comes up on your home page is a fake (the 1A and 1B example). It is probably not the most approriate introduction card to have on your website........but I shall look through them anyway....just a suggestion!

Cheers

Scott
Last edited by Scott Revell on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Steven,

I have had a look at your site. You have some nice cards there which I will take a few very shortly.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

tdjsmypride

caught in the act!!!

Post by tdjsmypride »

Hello again,
I had hoped nobody would notice that was my site. I had hoped to get some feedback without anyone knowing it was my site. :oops:

By the way, how could you tell that card was fake??
Steve
John W. Howard

Nice Site

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello TDJ:
I have often heard of German Death Cards, but never actually seen one until viewing them on your site. Thanks for the valuable service. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Steve,

Why wouldn't you want anyone to know it is your site. I have 2 websites - and whilst there is always room for improvement as well as room for critisim (constructive or otherwise), I am still proud of them. You should always be proud of your work and improve your site through feedback etc from forums like these.

How do I know it is a fake - Well I am writing a book on Death cards which will be out next year. I have been collecting them for years now and the card is a fake because of the paper quality. Place that particular card under a UV light and it will glow. That particluar card is well known as being a fake with death card collectors.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

tdjsmypride

Thanks for the Info

Post by tdjsmypride »

Hi Scott,,
THanks for all of the information. I will be looking for your book!!! Believe it or not this is my first attempt at a website and I am still learning about cards as I am sure you can tell. I just try to sell some for fun and So I can buy some more!!!

THanks again
Steve
knieptang
Enthusiast

Post by knieptang »

In german language, these are "Todesanzeigen", were never mentioned as "Death-Cards" in Germany.

In every german Newspaper between 1939 - 1945, dozens and hundreds of these "Todesanzeigen" can be found...

To try to make a profit out of this...? SCHEISSE !

Michael

P.S. Leichenfledderer / Grabschänder / and so on...
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

knieptang wrote:In german language, these are "Todesanzeigen", were never mentioned as "Death-Cards" in Germany.

In every german Newspaper between 1939 - 1945, dozens and hundreds of these "Todesanzeigen" can be found...

Michael

Yes, I didn't dare to ask how you came to own them...I mean that's a very personal matter and belongs to the families I would think.
(But if these are printed in papers... :shock: )
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Michael,

Well it is interesting how you have jumped to a conclusion with your comments. We were talking about collecting 'Sterbebild' not 'Todesanzeigen'. I am fully aware of the difference between the two.

What are you suggesting? That collecting Death Cards (Sterbebild, Sterbezettel, Sterbeblättchen, Sterbekarten, Totenzettel, Totenbildchen
Totenkarten, Heiligenbildchen, Andachtsbildchen or whatever you want to call them) is immoral. That collectors of death cards should think about the families when selling & buying these items and making money out of them is wrong.

I know that you collect photos, documents and other paper items focusing on Wandervogel, JungDo, FAD and RAD. I also know you have medal groups of deceased WWII german soldiers. I would never question you as a fellow collector if you obtained all your collection morally and/or ethically.

Why I am a bit angry is not your comment of
but rather your last line
suggesting that we have no respect for the dead. Believe it or not weil ich Deutsches auch spreche!! (I speak German as well)

Scott
Revellations

knieptang
Enthusiast

Post by knieptang »

I try, to answer in english language...

The decorations, I was able to buy, at that time, the former holder was dead, for many years.

About the so called "Death-Cards", these belong to the family.

I will never publish anything about these decorations, especially online, and believe me, I am very well aware about the "Value" of these decorations nowadays.

This is, and will never be my goal, to make some profit out of these decorations, and the stuff around all of this.

I would rather burn all this very private stuff, this is what I was told, long years ago...

Michael
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Well it took a while for you to respond. Be that as it may, I think I was looking for an apology rather than a justification. Be it in German or English - you missed the point. Don't call me a Grave Violater (Grabschänder)!!!!
Revellations

knieptang
Enthusiast

Post by knieptang »

Any person, trying to make a profit out of "Todesanzeigen", "Sterbebildern" or anything related to that, ist ein "Grabräuber", and also a "Leichenfledderer"...

Michael
John W. Howard

Memorabilia

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello folks:
I am of mixed emotions about this issue. Some time ago Jason Pipes sold some of the death cards in his posession, with the proviso that the buyer research the soldier in question with the goal of finding out as much as possible about him. I always felt Jason had an excellent idea there. Personally, I would rather have the cards in the hands of a committed and caring researcher, than in the hands of an uncaring relative. But of course the cards should reside in the hands of family members, if they so wish.
John W. Howard