Moderator: sniper1shot

Annelie
Patron

Battle of Berlin

Post by Annelie »

Hello:

I am interested and searching for any stories or first hand accounts
of the "Battle of Berlin". Especially interested in area of Charlottenburg-
Berlin.....this is the area where the K'damm is located.

Interest varies from civilian accounts to whom (wehrmacht) was in the city
especially who, what, when, why and how etc..in fact anything to do with Berlin.

Any help in this would be very greatfully appreciated.
Annelie
Pat D
Supporter

Battle of Berlin

Post by Pat D »

Annelie, there are many books about this event and most are pretty good and from different perspectives and the ATB series has a Berlin-Then and Now book with good photos that help you digest what you read. What books on it, if any, have you read?
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Hello Pat:

I have read about everything I can get my hands on from before the war in the 20's and after. Read just about all the books I know in English from Battle of Berlin,With Our Backs to Berlin,The Fall of Berlin, The Last Battle, Berlin Dance of Death,many videos etc. etc......even first hand accounts from various sources.

My purpose is hopefully (one chance in a million or two) to find someone
whom may have known my family there during l939-48.
It was just a shot in the dark but you never know and I never give up hope.

Thankyou for your time in answering.

Regards
Annelie

ps. I am always open to suggestions :-)
Santiago
Supporter

Post by Santiago »

Hello Annelie,

Sorry, but i´m not sure if your: "The Fall of Berlin", is the same as the last Book of Antony Beevor: "Berlin: The Downfall. 1945" or "Berlin: Das Ende!" in the german version.

This book it´s very interesting, and not only for the military research.
Antony usually talk about the population of Berlin and how they suffer the war. And at the end of the book, you could find resources, and people who helps Antony during he´s writing the book....

May be it´s help a bit.

http://www.antonybeevor.com

Bye,

[url=http://www.puntadelanza.net/Index.php]Punta de Lanza sitio de Combat Mission en Español[url]
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

" Sorry, but i´m not sure if your: "The Fall of Berlin", is the same as the last Book of Antony Beevor: "Berlin: The Downfall. 1945" or "Berlin: Das Ende!" in the german version."

Santiago: Thankyou you are quite right...it is not the same.
I shall look into this book.

I still would like first hand accounts though from those living or in the wehrmacht at Berlin then.

Thankyou
Annelie
anthony

Post by anthony »

Hi, my family would have been in Berlin throughout that period.Unfortunately I don't know which suburb or area within Berlin. My mother does not discuss too much about that period, I do know that she was assisting with anti-aircraft within the city, she was 16 at the time. Her Maiden name was Schweizer , probably as common as Smith in English . The family name Gosselk maintained a presence within that period as well, and still does. Most of our family history, like others went up in flames or was taken by the Russians. That's all I can tell you, just a bit of an insight, after all that my mother immigrated to Australia.
Regards,Anthony
anthony

Post by anthony »

Hi, Annelie, I will mention the surname to my Mother, she is in her 70s and her memory is not the best. We live about 3000km away from each other, however she is visiting in January. In the meantime I shall endeavour to find out which suburb she lived in. When I was in Berlin with her years ago she actually showed me where she lived. I haven't really discussed her time with the flak team, I actually assumed that it was normal procedure for children to help out in that way.
I shall find out a bit of information, and pass on what I can.

With Regards, Anthony
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

Book by Major Siegfried Knappe - "SOLDAT"

Post by Rudi S. »

In this book, Knappe describes his involvement in the battle of Berlin - from April 1945 until 3 May 1945.
A dell book, ISBN: 0-440-21526-9
Rudi S.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Thankyou Anthony and Rudi for your help.
I would be forever gratefull if I ever found anyone whom
knew my family..

Rudi I am ordering the book today.

Thankyou again
Annelie
Marko 7-19

Fighter : Len Deighton

Post by Marko 7-19 »

I just received two books from a friend. One is "Fighter" (The True Story Of The Battle Of Britain) by Len Deighton. Have any of you read that, and if so, will it be something to look forward to when I do get the chance to dive into it?

Regards,
Marko 7-19
anthony

Post by anthony »

Hi, Annelie, can you please elaborate on K'DAMM, Mother used to live in SIEMENSTADT which I believe is in the district of Spandau, also in WILMERSDORFER STR. which appears to be in Charlottenburg. I am trying to gain an appreciation of the distance between K'damm(?) and the street. I will post as required.
Regards, anthony
Bruno
Supporter

KuDamm

Post by Bruno »

K'Damm =Kurfurstendamm.

Charlottenburg is to the right of the Schossgarten. To the left of the Schossgarten is Siemenstadt, connects to Charlottenburg via Siemensdamm road.
Wilmersdorf is south of Charlottenburg, south of the Tiergarten

If you take the Kaiser Friedrich Strasse from Charlottenberg to Wilmersdorf- you intersect: Kantstrasse, K'Damm , HohenzollerDamm.