Panzergrenadier- Panzer-Division Müncheberg

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Luke

Panzergrenadier- Panzer-Division Müncheberg

Post by Luke »

I was hoping that someone on this list might be able to help me. Yesterday my Opa (Grandfather) mentioned his experiences in the war to me for the first time. In the past he has always been very guarded about what happened to him, as he was very young at the time and the things he saw and experienced were horrific. But he has now asked me to use the Net to do some research for him on his regiment.
He was a Panzergenadier in Panzer-Division Müncheberg, one of the last lines of defence against the Russians who were moving in on Berlin. His regiment - Panzergrenadier-Regiment Müncheberg (w/ I & II Btl. - not sure which battalion), ran between the tanks. Opa was captured, he thinks, near the town of Golzow (?). I didn't know ANY of this until yesterday.
Opa is now seeking a list of the members of his Regiment. Does anyone know if there are any such records?
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Hi Luke, I suggest that you go to the link below and pm David C clarke, he might have some interesting information to share. Could the town he mentions be Gusow? I'm very eager to hear your grandfathers story, this would help us a lot in our research about the unit. As i said, contact David and there's a big chance that you will find answers to your questions.

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=3034

best regards/ daniel
Commissar D, the Evil

Fascinating

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Luke, this is fascinating information and, personally, I would be honored if you could add as much of your Opa's story as possible to the Muncheberg thread on the link Daniel gave. I can tell you this, based only on the information in your post,
"Muncheberg" was in Golzow the night of 19th-20th March, 1945. More to the point, on the 22 or 23rd of March, a tank force led by Captain Zobel held a position on a farmstead due east of Glozow. It is recorded that the tank force's infantry support was reduced from 200 to 7 men and the force was required to leave that position. Without knowing more, it is entirely possible that this was the fight in which your Opa was captured. Please either post more information or contact me by this forum's PM service and I will provide as much information as I have. Very Best Regards, David :D
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....