HELP: Some posted images don't appear in the forums

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Sean Oliver
Supporter

HELP: Some posted images don't appear in the forums

Post by Sean Oliver »

:? I can only view about half of the JPGs which get posted to the forums. The others are replaced by little red X's. There is no logical reason why some appear but not others, unless it has something to do with copyright restrictions. Other image formats (BMP,GIF) all seem to appear normally.
This happens with other forums as well. I can't find an answer which makes sense. I'm running a state-of-the-art machine with WinXP.
k-pp
Contributor

Post by k-pp »

As I understand it (and I'm not a techi kind of person), images attached to a post need to be linked to a place on the Internet where the image has been uploaded to. If the image has been removed from its place on the Internet, then the link disintigrates and the image in the post is reduced to the small box with the red cross.

However, I've noticed some of the photos in my posts have turned into small boxes with red crosses even though the images are stored on the net (at Webshots.com) and the links should be valid... How this happens, I don't know.

If a picture exists on the net, you should be able to copy it. You may be infringing copyright and have your wrist slapped, but it's possible. That's why lots of pictures have domain names emblazened across them, or have low resolutions!

Further to copyright issues, unless it's your own image you're posting, I'd always make a reference to the domain/owner you got it from.

All the best.