Study Red and Study Northwest

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

rclayton

Study Red and Study Northwest

Post by rclayton »

Hi everyone.

To be honest this is a post about a theoretical campaign, in other words a feasibilty study, or in this case two studies.
Just reading the Egbert Kieser book 'Operation Sealion' and the author mentions two studies. STUDY RED, a Kriegsmarine study ordered by Admiral Raeder in November 1939 and the Heeres study initiated by General Von Brautisch a month later, STUDY NORTHWEST.
I just wondered if any of you guys knew any more details of these studies or where the author obtained his sources, ( there are no references in the book ).

Best wishes Ron C.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi rclayton,

I cannot answer your question.

However, it does remind me of how transparent some German codenames were. They used a colour for their plans against Czechoslovakia, Poland, France and the UK. It always struck me that as soon as anyone found out that say, "Grun" referred to Czechoslovakia it would be pretty simple to work out that the others might refer to countries as well.

Similarly "Sud-Ost" referred to the occupation of Bohemia-Moravia in 1939. As soon as anyone disovered that this was an accurate description of the direction of the target, they might come to the same conclusion about "Study North-West".

There are other examples of German slackness in the adoption of code names, but I will spare you any other diversions.

Cheers,

Sid.