XXXVII HIGHER COMMAND

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

rclayton

XXXVII HIGHER COMMAND

Post by rclayton »

Hello everyone.
I came across reference to this while reading the excellent book INVASION OF ENGLAND 1940, by Peter Schenk. This particular Army Group, ( if that is what Higher Command means ), was based in the Netherlands in the Summer of 1940 and apparently included the 197th Infantry Division and what is described as a Special Purpose SS Division.
Can anyone tell me where I might get more detailed information about the composition of the 37th Higher Command and the two Divisions mentioned ?
Many thanks Ron C.
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

I don´t know anything about that command but I´d suggest it´s a Corps strength unit.
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Shawn
Supporter

Post by Shawn »

The Höheres Kommando z.b.V. XXXVII was commanded by General der Infanterie z.V. Alfred Boehm-Tettelbach from 1 March 1940-25 May 1942.* From 1 July 1940-15 March 1941, Boehm-Tettelbach concurrently served as Commander of the Army Troops in the Netherlands.

* Promoted Generalleutnant z.V. on 1 November 1938; Charakter als General der Infanterie z.V on 1 September 1940, and General der Infanterie z.V. on 1 December 1940.

Best regards,
Shawn

SOURCE: Bradley, Dermot; Hildebrand, Karl-Friedrich; Rövekamp, Markus. Die Generale des Heeres, 1921-1945, Band 2 (v. Blanckensee-v. Czettritz und Neuhauß). Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, Germany, 1993.
Shawn
Supporter

Post by Shawn »

The Special Purpose SS Division that Peter Schenk describes was the SS-V.-Division * commanded by SS-Gruppenführer Paul Hausser, which ultimately developed into the 2.SS-Panzer-Division “Das Reich.” After taking part in hard fighting during the invasion of the Low Countries and France, the SS-V.-Division assumed occupation billets in the Netherlands effective 12 July 1940. The division remained there conducting refitting, training and coastal defense work until 15 December 1940 when it deployed to the Haute Saone region of France for occupation duties.

* SS-V.-Division = SS-Verfügungs-Division.

Best regards,
Shawn

SOURCE: Weidinger, Otto. Das Reich II: 1940-1941. Bo Friesen, translator. J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing, Winnipeg, Canada, 1995.
Shawn
Supporter

Post by Shawn »

Ron,

Here are a some interesting links (including a few on this very site!) to the units you are interested in.

Best regards,
Shawn

Höheres Kommando z.b.V. XXXVII

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... IIHKdo.htm

197. Infanterie-Division – commanded by Generalmajor (Generalleutnant from 1 November 1941) Hermann Meyer-Rabingen, 1 December 1939-12 February 1942.

http://www.feldgrau.com/InfDiv.php?ID=126

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... derung.htm

SS-V.-Division/2.SS-Panzer-Division “Das Reich”

http://www.feldgrau.com/2ss.html

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... SDivVT.htm
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello.. a map I just stumbled over an remembered this thread
Shawn
Supporter

Post by Shawn »

Ron,

Here are the full names of the units with commanders (as of September 1940) as described by Peter Schenk to be used in the "Sea Lion" diversionary movements.

Best regards,
Shawn

Höheres Kommando z.b.V. XXXVI (tasked to feint an attack from Norway against the east coast of Great Britain with the ostensible target being Berwick-upon-Tweed): Charakter als General der Kavallerie z.V. Hans Feige
• 69. Infanterie-Division: Generalmajor Hermann Tittel
• 214. Infanterie-Division: Generalmajor Max Horn
• Army corps troops
• Panzer-Abteilung z.b.V. 40: Oberstleutnant Ernst Volckheim
• One heavy flak battalion

Höheres Kommando z.b.V. XXXI (tasked to feint an attack from the German Bight against the British east coast with the ostensible target being Blyth): General der Artillerie z.V. Leonhard Kaupisch
• 163. Infanterie-Division: Generalmajor Erwin Engelbrecht
• A second unnamed infantry division and army corps troops

Höheres Kommando z.b.V. XXXVII (tasked to feint an attack from the Netherlands against the east coast of England between the Wash and Harwich): Charakter als General der Infanterie z.V. Alfred Boehm-Tettelbach
• 197. Infanterie-Division: Generalmajor Hermann Meyer-Rabingen
• SS-V.-Division: SS-Gruppenführer Paul Hausser
rclayton

Post by rclayton »

Thanks everyone for the brilliant replies to my original posting, it was all very interesting and helpful.

BTW. Christoph, what is the archive source of the map you scanned ?

Many thanks and best regards, Ron Clayton.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

rclayton wrote:Thanks everyone for the brilliant replies to my original posting, it was all very interesting and helpful.

BTW. Christoph, what is the archive source of the map you scanned ?

Many thanks and best regards, Ron Clayton.
Hello!

BAMA RW4 Wehrmachtführungsstab

There are also several volumes by Mehner "Geheimen Tagesberichte der Deutschen Wehrmachtfuhrung" which include such kind of maps.

\Christoph
genstab
Contributor

Hoeheres Kommando XXXVII

Post by genstab »

Hoeh. Kdo XXXVII became LXXXII Armeekorps on 25 May 1942.
Best regards,
Genstab

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.