Was there in Italy a GESTAPO like organization?

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
canon

Was there in Italy a GESTAPO like organization?

Post by canon »

Don´t mean the german Gestapo in Italy. I mean a italian oranization with italians?

Thanks in advance
canon
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

mmm...I'm not an expert but...

During fascism, italian police created a special political police investigating unit called OVRA which was specialized in chasing and destroying antifascist organizations. it worked in couple with a political tribunal called Special Court for State Security.
Political struggle against antifascist abroad was duty for military intelligence SIM (I remember the murder of Rosselli brothers in 1938).

After 1943, situation complicated cause all structures in RSI had a political police...GNR, police, Black brigades, X MAS, etc etc. It's known the "work" of quite autonomous groups as Koch group at Rome, Carità group at Florence and Collotti group at Trieste

hope this helps...
TheFerret
Supporter

Post by TheFerret »

There was a group called the "Blackshirts" who were the strongmen of the Fascist Party.

I heard from one source that they followed the Italian Army into Abyssinia in 1935 and participated in a number of attorcities.

I was told by one Italian person, and I tried but could not confirm this, that they participated in very cruel torture of British Prisoners, which included castration. If someone can confirm this please let me know
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Blackshirts was the name of members of Italian Fascist Party militia, the MVSN, more or less similiar to SS. They had fighting units which stood aside regular army

The italian repression of Abyssinia of 1935-39 is an hard bloody story, as colonial campaign usually are

Sincerly I have NEVER listened any story about british prisoniers tortured by italians and hardly believe it. Stories about colonial wars, ok. stories about italian civil war, ok. But stories about british prisoniers, none! (and none about castration)