GD diary 1945 translation help needed

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Friday 16 March
1935 Reintroduction of general conscription
1939 Establishment of the Protectorates of Bohemia and Moravia

We’re moving away. Command post built on the heights at Patersort, but not occupied.
Not all today but on 18th.

Monday 19 March
Lost our two vehicles this morning. I arrived at the command post like a beaten man.
Sometimes I was ashamed to let myself be seen by people.
The whole business had done me in. -
Change of position in the evening. We spend the whole night on the military supply route.

Can’t think of a better translation for Rollbahn at the moment
Regards

Howard
Mike James
Supporter

Post by Mike James »

That's great so far Howard and Niece. I'll post more pages later today when I've got a bit more time. I did manage to find out a little about March 21st ref to Balga: Balga (Russian: замок Бальга; Polish: Bałga) was a medieval castle of the Teutonic Knights. Its ruins are located near the village of Vesyoloye in Bagrationovsky District of Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia; 30 km southwest of Kaliningrad. At least we know where he is !

Mike
Mike James
Supporter

Post by Mike James »

Howard, Could "Rollbahn" be Main Supply Route ?
Mike
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Tuesday 20 March
We arrived at Wolitnick station around 8 in the morning. Here everything came to a halt and we were pinned down by thunderous artillery fire and air attacks until midday.

Wednesday 21 March
1933 Potsdam Day

Slept a bit in a draughty barn until 0300. Then it continued. We got to Balga.
Stopped here. In the afternoon took wire up to the command post with the RSM.
An exhausting and arduous trip.

Mike, MSR was exactly the phrase I couldn't think of. Cheers :D
Regards

Howard
Mike James
Supporter

Post by Mike James »

Here's the next three scans for March 23rd, March 24/25th and March 26/27th
thanks
Mike

Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

more diary pages

Post by Hiltraut Tieden »

And more to keep Howard busy! :)
niece

Freitag 23. März
1868 Dietrich Eckart, Dichter, geb.

In der Nacht Bunker ausgehoben für neue Div.-Vermittlung. Wurden nie bezogen. Am Abend am Hang bei Balga ein Erdloch zum Schlafen gebaut.

Samstag 24. März
Eigene Löcher gebuddelt.

Sonntag 25. März
Tag der Verpflichtung der Jugend

Bestes Sonnenwetter. Der Iwan macht Zauber noch und noch. Wir hatten in zweitägiger mühseliger Arbeit einen Graben mit
Zeltbahnüberdickung in die tonige Erde des Steilufers gegraben. Um 10 Uhr stürzt alles zusammen.
Ein Glück, es hielt sich niemand darin auf.

Montag 26. März
Die ganze Nacht hindurch ein Einsatz wie noch nie. Am Tage noch verstärkten Einsatz seiner Waffen. Wie soll dieses enden?
Dünkirchen kann nicht schlimmer gewesen sein. Man meint die Hölle wäre los.

Dienstag 27. März
Noch immer sitzen wir im Loch an der Steilküste. Heute in der Nacht ist ein erster Teil von uns abgerauscht.
Wann mag es für uns so weit sein? Sein Einsatz wird immer stärker. Eben kamen sogar ein paar Kähne am Tage an.
Hoffentlich nimmt uns bald einer zur gegenüberliegenden Küste mit. Am Tage liegt sie greifbar nahe vor uns. -
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Thanks Niece :D

Friday 23 March
1868 Dietrich Eckart, poet, born

Bunker for the new Divisional communications dug during the night. Never occupied. In the evening dug a burrow in a slope near Balga to sleep in.

Saturday 24. March
Dug own holes.

Sunday 25 March
Hitler Youth Dedication Day

Great sunny weather. Little by little Ivan is getting more and more out of control. It took us two days of back-breaking work to dig a trench with tent squares for a roof in the clay of the steep slope. At 10 am. The whole thing collapsed.
Lucky that no-one was inside.
Regards

Howard
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Monday 26 March
The whole night through, shelling like never before. The next day increased deployment of weapons. How is it going to end?
Dunkirk couldn’t have been worse. Seems all hell’s breaking loose.

Tuesday 27 March
We’re still sitting in a hole in the cliffs. During the night the first of our men were taken off.
When will it be our turn? Shelling getting heavier and heavier. Even a couple of rowing boats arrived during the day.
I hope that one will soon take us to the opposite coast. In the daytime it’s so near we could touch it. -
Regards

Howard
Mike James
Supporter

Post by Mike James »

OK, here's the next two scans for March 28/29th and 30/31st 1945. Back to you Niece !
Mike James
Supporter

Post by Mike James »

Could one of these be our man? These photos are from "Panzercorps Gross Deutschland - A pictorial history" by Helmuth Spaeter. The photos tie in exactly with the diary entries for 27th March 1945 - even down to the rowing boat - and the location at Balga, matches his entry for 21st March.

Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

diary pages

Mike, this is incredible! While transcribing the pages of the diary, the man and the whole war scene formed a picture in my mind.
And now a real picture to add! I agree, it ties exactly with the entry!
Here are more pages transcribed; no rest, Howard! :)
niece.

Mittwoch 28. März
Am verganenen Nachmittag kam plötzlich, doch nicht überraschend, Befehl zum Abrücken. Gegen 18.30 Uhr sind wir am Verladeplatz.
Aber unsere Geduld wird noch auf eine harte Probe gestellt. Erst gegen 0400 Uhr werden wir eingeschifft.
Eine knappe Stunde Fahrt und wir sind einer Hölle entronnen.
Wir sind, wie man sagt, in Sicherheit.
Hoffentlich auch bald unsere Kameraden, die noch im Kahlholzer Brückenkopf stecken. Uns erfüllt eine stille Freude,
und man glaubt ein jeder müsse uns am Gesicht ablesen von wo wir kommen.
Man ist beinahe enttäuscht, als sich nicht alles mit uns beschäftigt.

Donnerstag 29. März
In der Nacht in Pillau geschlafen. Am Morgen geht es mit dem Zug etwa 20 km nach Samland hinein. Unser weniges Gerät
schleppen wir stets mit uns. Für die Nacht richten wir uns einen Heuboden ein.
Hier schlafen wir herrlich bis zum frühen Morgen. -
Unser Trupp ist ganz zersprengt, nur noch Pepi Wihan* und ich sind hier. Vor der Fähre und auf derselben wurden wir getrennt.
Es wird erzählt die andern wären zur Nehrungsicherung kassiert. -
Was wird aus unserer Neuaufstellung?

Freitag 30. März
Karfreitag

Die Nacht über auf einem Heuboden in Germau geschlafen. Am Morgen Abmarsch nach Sorgenau.
Hier trifft am Mittag auch die Kompanie ein. Unser Trupp ist wieder vollständig beisammen.
Wir bleiben in S. um die Div.-Vermittlung aufzubauen. -
Kameraden erzählen mir im Wehrmachtbericht sei der Brückenkopf Dorsten genannt worden. Ich bin ganz niedergeschlagen und kann es nicht fassen.

Samstag 31. März
Wir bauen auf! Das ist schnell gemacht. Untergekommen ist der Trupp zerstreut in Privatquartieren.
3 meiner Kameraden und ich wohnen beim Bäcker des Ortes. -
Die Mitteilungen des Wehrm.Berichtes sind wahre Hiobsbotschaften. Wer hätte je gedacht,
daß im Westen die Alliierten einmal so rasch vordringen würden. Was wird dagegen unternommen werden?
Unser Volk ist doch so nicht mehr einsatzfähig.

Transcriber's note:
* name is my best guess
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Wednesday 28 March

Yesterday afternoon the sudden, but no surprising, order to retreat. Around 18.30 we were at the loading area
But our patience was again put to the test. We were only sipped off at 0400.
A bare hour’s trip and we had escaped our hell.
We are, as they say, safe.
We hope our comrades, still stuck in the Kahlholzer bridgehead, soon will be too. We are filled with a quiet joy and I think that everyone must be able to read in our faces where we have come from.

We are almost disappointed, that no-one is making us of us. *

Thursday 29 March
Slept the night in Pillau. In the morning train around 20 km to Samland. What little equipment we have
we carry around with us We settled ourselves in a hayloft. We slept like logs there until the morning -
Our unit is totally dispersed, only Pepi Wihan* and I are still here. We got split up at the ferry and on it.
They say that the others we collected to secure the spit of land -
What’s going to happen in the new position?

° Not quite sure what he means here.
Regards

Howard
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Freitag 30. March
Good Friday
Spent the night in a hayloft in Germau. In the morning marched to Sorgenau.
The company assembled here at midday. Our squad is now completely back together again.
We are staying in S. To set up divisional communications -
Comrades tell me that the bridgehead is called Dorsten in the Wehrmacht report. I’m quite devastated and can’t understand it.

Saturday 31. March

We’re building up! It’s done quickly. The unit is distributed in private accommodation.
3 of my comrades and I are staying with the town baker -
The messages from the Wehrmacht reports are Jo’s comforters. Who would ever have thought that in the West the Allies would push forward so fast. What has been done about it?
Our nation is no longer really capable of fighting.
Regards

Howard
Mike James
Supporter

Post by Mike James »

Thank you once again. Now we're into April. There are 6 entries. April 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 13th, 14th, and 15th.
Here are the first 2 scans for April 1/2 and April 3rd 1945.
Good Luck!
Mike
Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

more pages

Re 28. March:
Man ist beinahe enttäuscht, als sich nicht alles mit uns beschäftigt.

We are almost disappointed, that no-one is making us of us. *
° Not quite sure what he means here.

Howard, I think I would understand it as:
One is almost disappointed that not everything is revolving around us (or paying attention to us)

Best regards,
niece

Sonntag 1. April
Ostersonntag
1815 Reichskanzler Otto v. Bismarck geb.

Die Quartiersleute sind sehr freundlich. Heute morgen bekam jeder 5 Stückchen Kuchen. -
Nach dem Wehrmachtbericht wird noch in unmittelbarer Nähe meiner Heimat gekämpft.
Wie mögen meine Eltern und Geschwister Ostern verbringen? Ob sie noch alle leben? - Am Abend saß ich mit Hans Hoffmann zusammen.
Oh, was sind die Flügel unserer kühnen Träume und Hoffnungen gestutzt worden. Vieles was uns früher als unerläßliche

Montag 2. April
Ostermontag
742 Karl der Große geb.

Voraussetzung galt, ist für uns heute Nebensache und unwichtig. Wenn es uns nur noch einmal vergönnt ist wieder ganz von vorn anzufangen.
Jung und trotz allem noch tatenlustig würden wir es schon schaffen.

Heute morgen brachte unsere Quartierwirtin für jeden von uns ein Ei, gestern abend bekam jeder ein Schälchen Heringssalat,
und am heutigen Abend jeder 3 Schinkenschnitten. Ein Landser

Dienstag 3. April
einer fremden Einheit wollte am Tage zuvor behaupten unsere Wirtin wäre geizig. Ich habe ihm gehörig meine Meinung gesagt.
Solche Leute haben komische Ansichten. Wird ihnen der kleine Finger gericht, wollen sie gleich die ganze Hand.
Unmöglich ist so etwas.