Kameradschaft, Schar, Jungfliegerscar, etc what are these?

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
brian_05

Kameradschaft, Schar, Jungfliegerscar, etc what are these?

Post by brian_05 »

Revised: OK, since I've posted this I have found quite a few references to
Kameradschaft in its current reference to violent groups. I am only interested in its history in the 1930's...Brian

I have a distant family member who had the following life/service history. I just wondered if anyone in here could put his pre-military and possibly his military career into perspective. I've only just now started reading about the German war effort and don't know what these groups were yet.

Thanks

......................................From his SS records................................

Born Aug, 1916

Volksschule 1923-1928

Oberrealschule in Schwetzenigen (for 6 years)

Transfer to Waghaeusel, earned Einaehrigen Diploma

Commercial apprenticeship with Allemeine Elektricitaets Gesgellschaft in Mannheim until transfer to SS-Verfuegungstrupe (Service Troop)
........................................................................................................

June 6, 1933, Entered Hitler Youth Organization in Schweitzagen, then

Sept 1933 promoted to leader of a Kameradschaft, led til end of Jan 1934, then

Leader of a Schar til Oct 1934, then

When a Jungfliegerscar was established in Schwetzingen in Oct 1934, I took over as a leadership as Gefolschaftsfuehr with two additional localities, then

Led the Luftsportgefolgschaft 4/1Ji in the Bannbereich of Mannheim til Nov 9, 1936, until I was transferred to the SS

............................the following from family sources.......................

Once in SS, assigned to SS1 "Deutschland" Regiment (created from a Bavarian Allegmine SS Police Unit)

It is unknown if he served in Austria, Sudentenland, or Czech. in 1938-1939

On Sept 1, 1939 his Deutschland Regiment took part attached to Panzerverband Ostpreussein (aka Panzer Division Kempf)

At the time of the invasion the SS Deutschland was part still of the SS-VT (Special Service Troops), his unit was the Leichts Infanterie Kolonne

Apparantly was under the command of Felix Steiner (at some point in time)

He died Sept 12, 1939 near Siedice, Poland

Honored in a Plaque in Pulaway June 3, 1940 with the Standesamt I in Munich under #15**

Sorry about misspellings and typos. Many, if not most, of these terms are unfamiliar to me and this was from handwritten notes.

I think many of the early associations were basically regular school attendence. Its the later military associations/groups that I am mostly curious about.

Thanks

Brian
Mobile Infantry
Supporter

Post by Mobile Infantry »

Hi Brian,
a "Kameradschaft" used to be a small unit in the Hitler youth of about 10 members;
"Schar" was the name for a group of 40 HJ-boys formed by 4 Kameradschaften.
Above the "Schar" was the so called Gefolgschaft (160 members), then the Stamm (600), the Bann (3.000), the Gebiet (150.000) and the Obergebiet (750.000 members)

The HJ also offered some special training like driving a motorcycle or flying. A "Jungfliegerschar" was part of the Flieger-HJ where members of the hitler youth learned to fly.
As all soldiers know since thousands of years death is not noble. It´s just very final.
brian_05

I've found a couple great websites which have explained them

Post by brian_05 »

Yes...

Thanks for that. Sounds like a fairly typical HJ history from what I've since found out.

The military records don't seem to have much information to develop anything specifically. I'll keep working on more specific data about him.

Thanks......Brian