"SS Panzergrenadier: A true story of World War II"

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

D.W.
Enthusiast

"SS Panzergrenadier: A true story of World War II"

Post by D.W. »

"SS Panzergrenadier: A true story of World War II" by Hans Schmidt .
This soldier served with the 3rd SS and was eventually taken into U.S. captivity and languished at Rheinwiesen.Apparently not about battlefield exploits but a look at the horror of the Ostfront. Sounds like a good read.
It is selling for $45.00.

Anyone familiar with this? Comments?

-D.W.
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

DW

You can actually get signed copies at http://www.aberdeenbookstore.com for $35.

Regards
Michael
David N
Supporter

Post by David N »

I read the book several months ago. The author was born in 1927, one of the 17 year olds. He was in the 1st SS Division, the LAH, not the 3rd. Schmidt was in the Bulge, then Hungary and Austria to the end of the war.

The book gives a lot of detail about the training Schmidt received. The main feature of the book is that the author is rather unreconstructed as he was jailed in Germany a few years ago for his statements. He claims the Malmedy massacre didn't happen, though he wasn't in KG Peiper. Still, shows how an SS panzergrenadier would (and still does) see the war.

When Hitler commited suicide, Schmidt's comrades had little reaction and Hitler's name was no longer mentioned, one of the more interesting scenes in the book. Another shows that SS men received good medical care when wounded. There are several photos of Schmidt in uniform.

Overall, it's worth reading, but with a critical detachment.
D.W.
Enthusiast

Post by D.W. »

Michael and David,

Thanks for the insight. $35.00 for a signed copy is better than the $45.00 Amazon wants. There is one on eBay for $31.00 too.

When I had heard that the author was "unapologetic" I guess this refered to his imprisonment in Germany for his comments. I have been burned before on overpriced SS memoirs so I think I will avoid this one. But I'll keep on eye on eBay as well.

Regards,
D.W.