Net waistcoat

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

charlie don't surf
Associate

Net waistcoat

Post by charlie don't surf »

I found this on ebay. It is said to be found in a metal case in a bunker somewhere in Kurland, Latvia. Apparently it's quite rare. Does anyone know anything of this extraordinary clothing?

best regards/ daniel
Craig
Banned

hmmm

Post by Craig »

It's unusual to say the least. Sort of a cross between the Werhrmacht and the Village people!.....perhaps there is a member of the group we haven't seen yet?

I would be a bit skeptical of this item. I cannot see reason enough to have made something like that. The open weave can be for one of two things, to keep cool or for camo. There was ample camo in the German armed forces and as for keeping cool, well you would still have to wear something under it so why not just wear a smock?

Always be wary of things found in cellars and barns etc, because 99.99% of them are bullshit!

Cheers
HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE FASTEST RUNNER!
charlie don't surf
Associate

It looks a bit too well preserved in my opinion.

regards
joscha
WWII Vet

Net Vest

Post by joscha »

I would consider it phony.

Look at the wooden dowel-like thingamajig. The only time I have seen anything like this was on the old duffel coats of the Brits right after WW2. I do not think that such a closure was ever used by any German military equipment.

Could be wrong. Joscha
Craig
Banned

Post by Craig »

a $499 US starting price!!!!

One day to go at time of this posting and no bids....not surprised really.

If it sells, I am going to cut up my Zeltbahn and make a few of my own, genuine of course, found in a shoebox under a wrecked U-boat in an Austrian lake beside some Nazi gold bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He gives some idea of it's authenticity in his description...'Not found in 100's of reference books'....of course not, Dumpkopf!!!!!!

Hey, I wonder if there is a market for splinter pattern ties?...genuine of course!
HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE FASTEST RUNNER!
charlie don't surf
Associate

If it were real, shouldn't it be some kind of production markings on it?

regards
David Gregory

Wooden toggles

Post by David Gregory »

The wooden toggles could easily have come from a standard issue Russian shelter quarter. These didn't change in design from the early 1930s until at least the fifties.

The toggles were only roughly standardised and varied according to manufacturer, much like most other other Russian kit of the period.
The excitement is in tents (pun intended) - visit http://www.zeltbahn.net and see.
German ID documents and related biographies at http://www.zeltbahn.net/wehrpass/