Hitler as a Military Commander.

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Colonel Christian

Second only to Saddam

Post by Colonel Christian »

The Colonel
Colonel Christian - Simple Defender of Truth, Justice and the American Way.
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Perhaps the best dismissal of Hitler's military abilities was written by Dr. Lawrence Peter, creator of "the Peter Principle": Hitler was a consummate politician who rose to his level of incompetence when he became a generalissimo.

Yours,
Paul
LukeMiguez

Post by LukeMiguez »

You've got to blame the generals for carrying out many of his orders - especially in the latter years of the war. Jodl, Keitel, Rundstedt, Manteuffel and Dietrich all have a lot of blood on the hands for the Ardennes offensive - a doomed operation from the outset, both tactically and strategically. From the German point of view it could never have succeeded - I know I've ploughed through the documents and war diaries and the misgivings, especially about fuel, are all too clear.
I have to ask you halder, what would you have done? The Allies advancing on every front and your nation's resources to fight are dwindling?
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

I think Hitler being a regimental runner in WW1 had a pretty good idea of how a HQ works,but a regiment was his limit.