Occupation Marks

German stamps, coins and paper money 1919-1945.
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Occupation Marks

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

I would like to know in what European countries was introduced the "occupation Mark", a German paper money printed for the Wehrmacht like the AMLIRE (an occupation money printed freeley by the occupation Angloamerican forces in Italy with a pre-definied, imposed value which, naturally, created inflation).
I know the Germans tried to impose it in Italy just after the 8 Sept. 1943 armistice but the new RSI republic was able to forbid it until the very last day of war. Was this "money" used in France or elsewhere?

Thank you EC
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

Well, I don't know if this answers your question... but I have a Dutch 10 Guilder note dated April of 1944, and it has no Third Reich markings on it at all. Very nice looking note too, one of the favourites in my collection.

--Mike
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Hello Enrico,
I was given a Greek Reichbanknote which a veteran picked up during the civil unrest in Salonika in '44. He told me that the streets were covered in them (so obviously were not used by the Greeks once the Germans had fled).

Si.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Thank you Gentlemen and go on with this topic.
"The gold move the word" (Goethe)
silver

Occupation marks

Post by silver »

Dear Enrico!
Those notes was isuued in Italy and in Germany in 1944,
but other occupation marks was issued in 1939 for countries what Germany was occupied in 1939-1941.
If you interst may send you image of those notes.
Silver
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Thank you, Silver, the one used in Italy would be quite interesting EC
silver

Post by silver »

Dear Enrico!
Please excuse me for mistake. Those notes what you interets was issued in 1943 for Italy and in 1944 for Germany and called "Allied Military Currency", it was printes in USA. In Italy was LIRE 1-1000, in Germany was MARKs 1/2 - 1000.
But I speak about notes what was issued in 1939, those notes was printed in Germany(Third Reich) and was circulated on occupated territories(ww2 -Notes for German Occupied Territories(Belgium, Denmark, Greece, France, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Soviet Union, Yugoslavia).
silver
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Hello Silver.
So they were AM Lire, the occupation money spent by the US soldiers (and covered, since 1944, by the US Government who paid for her, in materials, food, ect. to the Italian one, quite a pleasant habit as the rule was always, except for this episode - to print phoney money to pay goods with paper. The natives too, in Ethipoia and Libya avoided the British occupation money preferring the Italian one during and after the war).
I have to presume, from your last E mail, that the German occupation Mark was not used in the Low Countries?
Bye EC