translation site

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

kim vachon

translation site

Post by kim vachon »

try going to

http://world.altavista.com/

this site is great.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I second that, it's a very useful feature and I have even found that over time it has gotten better at translating! It doesn't do great with military terms and wording, but for that you can either wing it or ask here of course and be able to piece together a fairly decent chunk of translated text!
Der_Dolmetscher

Altavista........

Post by Der_Dolmetscher »

Machine translations can be usefull, but with all of the people here, is it really worth all the hassle of a nearly incomprehensible translation?
I say this, not only because i am a translator myself, but i know how frustrating these "tools" can be. It isn't like a calculator, where 2+2 is always 4.
Sei was du willst, aber was du bist, habe den Mut ganz zu sein
jpole

Translating...

Post by jpole »

I'll also volunteer my time to help out with translations... I speak German, Russian, Japanese, Spanish, and French. All thanks must go to the US Army... It's my brain, but their teaching... :wink: Of course, while traveling in Russia, it is an extremely BAD idea to explain to your Russian "guide" (combination driver/bodyguard) that your ability to speak/read/write in his native language came about as a result of the US Army's desire to have personnel capable of interrogating prisoners if a Warsaw Pact confrontation in Europe ever occurred!

Let me know if I can help out... I've done several full book translations, along with hundreds of articles and smaller pieces...

Jamie
Jamie C. Pole
InfoSec/InfoWar/IndEsp
Commercial Intelligence
Maximilian
Supporter

Post by Maximilian »

"A brave man without weapon is more dangerous than a cowardly man armed"