German Leather Coat

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Maximilian
Supporter

German Leather Coat

Post by Maximilian »

I would like to know,who were the ones usings that long leather coat,officers of which special force?

I somebody have a picture of the design it would be great

Danke
Maximilian
xavier
Contributor

leather coats

Post by xavier »

leather coats have been long associated with the gestapo, because of the movies, but the fact is the long coats (at least for officers) were privately purchased and in consecuence, no standar cut is "correct", you could use any long coat (fabric) as a guide to have one made.

a good example of this is a well-known picture of hitler ina visit to the eastern front, surrounded by a group of officers, including sepp dietrich and goering, all long coats are different!!(about 9-10 visible!)

regards

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Maximilian
Supporter

Post by Maximilian »

Thanks,I didn't know the coats were made by private factories,I tought was some special uniform for high rank officers.
I don't believe too much in american movies of war.
But those long coats looks too good,quality, to be made by civil factories,and Im still thinking why were all those different tipe.

Thanks
Max
xavier
Contributor

by "private" purchse I meant

Post by xavier »

puchased privately by them, try a ebay.com (germany) search for lederjacke or leather coat and see the results.

there were oficially sanctioned factories, and suppliers, but they had to pay (the officers) themselves out of their own pockets for the long coats...

(btw my youngest son name is Maximilian too!!)

regards

xavier

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Maximilian
Supporter

Post by Maximilian »

OK now I understood
Hey You picked a good name to your son ! =)
by the way,do you speak spanish?,is my mother tongue.
Regards
Max
xavier
Contributor

por supuesto!!!

Post by xavier »

soy de mexico, tu de donde eres?

vi tu post sobre las lugers tambien, no tan dificil como ellos piensan, aqui las luger son muy comunes, tal vez por la proximidad a los USA, pero en sud-america tambien hay una fuente muy concreta: la tripulacion del Graf Spee abandono el barco con algo de equipo, entre ello, las armas personales y documentos.

saludos desde mexico

Xavier

Cicero
Maximilian
Supporter

Post by Maximilian »

Si es verdad,ese barco se hundio cerca de Brazil o de Argentina,o quizas venian corriendolos y tuvieron que escapar?

Saludos
Max
xavier
Contributor

look at this leather coat

Post by xavier »

hello maximilian, it is made in the 30's just the description I gave you before, privately made....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 82219&rd=1

best regards

Xavier

Cicero
Maximilian
Supporter

Post by Maximilian »

Thanks !!!
Willi

In the Waffen-SS...

Post by Willi »

Enlisted men were provided their uniforms and equipment by the SS-Bekleidungswerke (SS-BW), which were manufactured by the inmates at the Concentration Camps, i.e. Dachau and Ravensbruck, as well as contracted clothing manufacturers. Officers however, were given an allotment of money in which to buy their uniforms. If an officer was posted to a staff, then he might consider buying a tailor-made uniform of higher quality, otherwise he could go to a group of tailors without a shop and buy quality uniforms but cheaper than a regular tailor with a shop. Many officers engaged in combat in the field often acquired enlisted uniforms and would have tailors modify them, especially with officer-quality insignia and the dark-green wool collar - very popular among officers and sometimes professional NCOs. Many officers preferred leaving the enlisted sleeve eagles, as they were already on the sleeve and silver bullion ones cost more and would only get damaged and dirty in field operations. They bought these leather overcoats too. These were principally civilian leather overcoats with the addition of loops and buttons to accommodate the addition of shoulder boards. These were usually the only addition to these coats. Coats without the loops and buttons are a civilian garment. There is no real distinction between the services except that the army and Waffen-SS usually wore a gray-green and the Luftwaffe a medium gray, however, these are not rules set in concrete as I have an SS-Obergruppenfuhrer leather overcoat in a gray color.
Maximilian
Supporter

Post by Maximilian »

Great information...
Where did you get all that info?
Thanks
Willi

Many years of study

Post by Willi »

I've been studying the history of the Waffen-SS for many years and have been a WWII German militaria collector for 29 years now, specializing in uniforms and headgear of the Waffen-SS for 24 years. I have some of my collection posted on German Daggers - (uniforms) Collectors Showcase Forum under threads Totenkopf Tunics and Norwegian Volunteers - check them out.
Maximilian
Supporter

Post by Maximilian »

where...
"A brave man without weapon is more dangerous than a cowardly man armed"
Willi

Collectors Showcase Forum

Post by Willi »

http://daggers.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic? ... 8353004833

Then look for the threads TOTENKOPF UNIFORMS and NORWEGIAN VOLUNTEERS and you'll see five great Totenkopf tunics and an officer's tunic from the Norge Regiment (very rare and difficult cuffband to acquire, let alone find it on a tunic).

Enjoy.
Maximilian
Supporter

Post by Maximilian »

thanks im gonna check it out
"A brave man without weapon is more dangerous than a cowardly man armed"