question for Mr. Yerger re: Herbert Vahl

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Jerry
Associate

question for Mr. Yerger re: Herbert Vahl

Post by Jerry »

In the bio of Herbert Vahl, in your fine book Waffen SS Commanders , you state (in the same sentance) "As commander of Panzer Regiment 29 from mid December 1941"... and that he received the DKiG "on November 17, 1941, as commander of Panzer Regiment 29." I presume the first date is a typo (as the date of his DKiG is correct), and wonder if you can tell me the correct dates for his command of Panzer Regiment 29.

Thanks for any insight.

Jerry
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Actually a poor worded term error with missing date on my part as he led the regiment (m.d.f.b) before appointed its full commander. Data in my next volume better explains the position and situation, he was formal commander of one unit (101) while leading another (29), the command title process and terms explained in the series. The correct data is explained as follows with additional/corrected data via new documentation to include his initial period with the Waffen-SS:

Promoted to Major on November 1, 1936, he assumed command of the II./Panzer Regiment 4 one month later. On February 1, 1939 Vahl became an Oberstleutnant and commanded Panzer Abteilung 65 with the 1.leichte Division when the war started, after which his command became a component of the 6.Panzer-Division in October 1939. Wining clasps to his Iron Crosses in Poland (October 12, 1939) and Russia (July 13, 1941), he was appointed the first commander of Panzer Abteilung 101 on April 23, 1940 and physically assumed the post in early May. An active commander who directly participated in the fighting, he was awarded the Tank Assault Badge in Silver on July 21, 1941 for combat in Russia. Vahl was transferred to take leadership of Panzer Regiment 29 (12.Panzer-Division) effective July 18, 1941 and became full and permanently assigned commander at the end of October that year. At that posting he won the German Cross in Gold on November 17, 1941, leading the unit through late July 1942. Promoted to Oberst on December 13, 1941, it became effective for seniority from January 1, 1942.

Vahl transferred to the Waffen-SS on August 1, 1942 as a Standartenführer due to his tank experience. First briefly posted to the SS-Führungshauptamt as Inspektor for Kraftfahrtruppen und Kraftfahrkampftruppen (probably for assimilation into the Waffen-SS and conferences on armor issues), he was soon moved to Hausser's corps command. From there he was appointed as the first Panzer Regiment commander of Das Reich when the formation was established in October 1942, leading the unit until February 10, 1943 when he replaced Georg Keppler due to the latter's illness.
Last edited by Mark C Yerger on Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Have no idea why a number code appeared after names in my 2nd paragraph, tried to edit it out 3 times. The thrills of computers.

Mark
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Mark,

Thank you for the very thorough reply. I have one follow-up if you don't mind. Do you know what division Panzer Abteilung 101 was attached to?

Thanks again.

Jerry
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

jerry, here's a link about s.Pz.Abt.

http://www.eliteforces.freewire.co.uk/T ... lions.html

regards
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Thanks Charlie, but Pz.Abt. 101 was not a s.Pz.Abt.

Pz.Abt. 101 was an early-war Flammpanzer abteilung that was disbanded in December 1941, well before the first s.Pz.Abt. was formed.

Jerry
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Jerry

Pz Abt 101 was formed within Wehrkreis III and attached as Korpstuppen to the XXXIX and XXXXI.Armeekorps until dissolved in December 1941. Cadre used to form Panzer Regiment 24.

Best
Mark
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Sorry for mixing it up Jerry! I know that there's a good site which deals with falmmpanzers but i can't find it, I'll post it I find it. :oops:

regards
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Mark,

Thanks again, most helpful.

Charlie,

No problem, keep trying.

Jerry