Was the Sturmgewehr 44 widely isssued to the SS?

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
heinz kling

Was the Sturmgewehr 44 widely isssued to the SS?

Post by heinz kling »

I saw only a few pictures of LAH soldiers with them in late 44 and one picture of a supposedly Florian Geyer grenadier with it. If as was alleged that the SS had a priori claim to the latest arms, I would expect them to be liberally equipped with it.
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

SS-Div. "Hunyadi" had 155 MP-44 (in Jan. '45) - 100 on 19.14.'44 and 55 on 29.12.'44.

It's also stated that 1. (ung.) SS-Schi-Btl. had MP-44.

Could you share these photos? :wink:
Slovenija gre naprej!
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

There is no apparent priority for issue of Sturmgewehr 44 to SS, rather to volksgrenadier divisions, and other infantry divisions. Panzer, panzer grenadier divisions, both Army and SS certainly had them, but not to the same extent as infantry, by proportion.

131st ID may have been first about March/April 1944. I have never seen any listed in formations in Normandy.

It is said that Hitler was not keen on them to start with, so they were issued to LSSAH Guard Battalion at Rastenburg, which won Hitler over.

Roger Griffiths.
heinz kling

Is it a better shot than the Gewehr 43?

Post by heinz kling »

Was the Gewehr 43 issued in large numbers, as even late into the war I see most landsers with the Kar 98.
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

... and some MP-44 were in SS-Fall.Jg.Abt. 500 during the attack on Drvar (Operation Rosselsprüng)
Slovenija gre naprej!
Roger Griffiths
Associate

G41 and G43 only issued in small numbers, often used as sniper rifles with scopes.

Roger
heinz kling

Amazing

Post by heinz kling »

Which means the Landsers were fighting mostly with WWI vintage Kar 98.
Roger Griffiths
Associate

I'm not any sort of weapons expert, and it was the Kar 98k, which was presumably a later version of a weapon issued to cavalry and other units. The standard rifle in WWI was the Gewehr98, or so I believe.

Roger
David N
Supporter

Post by David N »

The Gewehr 43 was only produced during the last 19 months of the war, with a total production of some 460,000. The book, Hitler's Garands, by W. Darrin Weaver is available from collectorgrade.com and has this and other information.

In Pallud's Battle Of The Bulge: Then And Now, you can see several photos of Fallschirmjaegers with G43s. Note the photos on pages 159 and 160 of the 1985 edition. Several of the men on King Tiger 222 have G43s.
larsdenmark

Re: Was the Sturmgewehr 44 widely isssued to the SS?

Post by larsdenmark »

Div Nordland was issued a great number as late as april 45
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Re: Was the Sturmgewehr 44 widely isssued to the SS?

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

If as was alleged that the SS had a priori claim to the latest arms,
Which is an old myth....

Jan-Hendrik