The German Army 1933-1945 by Matthew Cooper

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Michael Dorosh
Supporter

The German Army 1933-1945 by Matthew Cooper

Post by Michael Dorosh »

I recently found this gem in the University library, and have read some reviews at Amazon.com.

The book was written in 1978, and so does not benefit from

a) Soviet archival material recently released
b) apparently, any discussion of the importance of Enigma

Do either of these consititute "shortcomings"?

Does this book still reach valid conclusions despite the non-inclusion of such material?

One reviewer at amazon mentioned that because the book does not mention the Holocaust that it is invalid. Is this fair?
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I'll simply comment on your last question.

It is most certainly not fair to suggest that a book is invalid simply because it does not mention the Holocaust. That is a trite and silly thing to suggest. Does the contrary also hold true, that a book on the Holocaust is not valid if it in turn doesn't speak about the military aspects of the war? Of course not! Authors and researchers usually have a main focus for a reason. Taking a holistic view may be totally valid in some cases and important in others but it isn't required inorder to write a valid historical work on a military oriented topic.
Michael Dorosh
Supporter

Post by Michael Dorosh »

Good reply Jason, but I wonder - did the activity - or inactivity - of the Generals, especially with regards to "stopping Hitler" - the main theme of the book - wasn't this tied up intimately with their knowledge - or lack thereof - of Hitler's Final Solution?

Cooper seems to present an even handed description of the loss of power by the German Army to the whims of Hitler. Would the picture simply be clouded by emotionalism if the question of the Holocaust were introduced, or is it possible to either exonerate or condemn the generals, General Staff, and other military intelligentsia based on what they knew (or were prevented from knowing) about the Final Solution?

Or is it really fair to simply take it for granted that the generals knew nothing, without having to make a case or prove it in any way?

I understand your point completely, and agree in general terms, just wondering if in the specific cases that Cooper discusses, this holds true or not.

Don't know the answer, which is why I ask...

But I don't mean to sidetrack the whole thing with a Holocaust discussion - I am more interested in the first two questions, and in any general criticisms or words of praise for this book, which impresses me very much for its scholarly yet readable approach to a complex subject.