Opel Six - Einheits PKW - markings

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

kristian71denmark

Opel Six - Einheits PKW - markings

Post by kristian71denmark »

Hi

A while back I was researching a 1935 Opel six 2 door saloon, that the germans left on their retreat from Denmark in 1945.
The car remained obsolete until 1947, when it was registered by a painter and used for daily transport until 1967. It was repainted once, very poorly, in a greyish colour.
From 1967 until 1975 it stood in the small automobile-museum in Stenderup, some 20 km from here and was at that time sold to a collector, who again stored it until now.

I have been trying to retrieve this car for some time ( ca. 9 years! ) and this summer I was succesfull and bought it from the owner, now age 80. He has some 30 cars and 18 motorcycles left, so he thought he wouldnt get around to getting this one done...

The car is a non-runner but very original and complete. In some places you can see a bright yellow/sand colour underneath the grey paint.

It has the original MOT-papers from 1947, which states, that this is a " Tysk Efterladenskab" - a german relic, , proof that this was not just a rumour, I've heard.
The original bodynumber, a small plate on the firewall, was painted bright yellow/sand with the rest of the car at some point, WH.

My question is this: Does anyone know where to obtain the right numbers for the correct load-index, that the germans often painted in a black square on the doors of their camuflaged softskinned vehicles, in order to know the weight and loading-ability..?
I've seen pictures of PKW's, some with those markings but who knows more..?

Any help is very welcome...

Cheers
Kristian / Denmark :up:

Sincerely

Kristian
Simon H
Associate

Re: Opel Six - Einheits PKW - markings

Post by Simon H »

Hi Kristian. After some digging about, not literally this time. The conclusion I've come to is that the Opel, as a requisitioned vehicle rather than one that had been designated a military one did not have any such marks on the doors. If you look through the photos you will only see these on offically classified vehicles be they cars (kubels, wanderers or trucks, Opel, Ford, Deutz etc.

I've yet to find a photo of an Opel 6 in Normandy with such door markings, although such vehicles were utilised by the Germans on the Invasionfront.

The vehicle in question can be seen below:

http://www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/page56N.htm

Hopefully we will get to see it once the restoration is complete! A lovely old timer car.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Simon H
Associate

Re: Opel Six - Einheits PKW - markings

Post by Simon H »

Hi Kristian,
PM sent to you!

Kind Regards once more,
Simon.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.