Einsatzgruppen

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Helmut
Patron

Einsatzgruppen

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I don't know if I should list this topic under here or under War Crimes but here goes. :?

I always read about the Einsatzgruppen operation behind the eastern front Army Groups but I have never been able to find any organizational data such as personnel strengths or equipment. Can someone steer my in the right direction or have the information?

Also, it seems that after the fall of '41, I never har anything about these guys. Were they disbanded or what?

Thanks in advance for your hlep.

Regards,

Helmut
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: Einsatzgruppen

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello,

Each of the four Einsatzgruppen was about battalion size between 600-800 men.
Each Einsatzgruppe was organised into two Abteilungen -
These were organised in Einsatz- and Sonderkommandos with 70-120 men each and Teilkommandos of about 20-30 men.
Gestapo (9 %), SD (3,5 %), civilian police (4,1 %), Orpo (13,4 %), foreign aixiliary police (8,8 %), Waffen-SS (34 %).

/Christoph
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

According to the well-informed Christoph the largest single source for manpower of the Einsatzgruppen was the Waffen-SS. Therefore, I believe that this is an appropriate place for such discussion. However, I can't recall having seen anything in the personnel file of a W-SS officer mentioning that they had been detailed to serve in an Einsatzgruppe. I wonder why that was?
John
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello John,

Interesting.. did you look into the files of the specific Einsatzgruppen officers or do you mean you did not come over an entry in your overall research?

Thanks,
Christoph
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Thank you all very much for your iinformation.

Regards,

Helmut