Stalingrad. Antony Beevors

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Jez
Associate

Stalingrad. Antony Beevors

Post by Jez »

Hi guys,

I used to regularly visit Feldgrau and enjory (sometimes heated) debates/learning new information on all aspects of WW2 history.

Prit, Commisar, Sid Gutteridge, Phylo, Xavier and many more (and Jason!)- i hope you are all very well (and can remember me!).

My father has been battling cancer for several years and this situation came to a head on Thursday when he finally succumb to his illness. He was a true inspiration to all of my family.

In those final days and hours we sat there with my father and we would read. The hospice was very peaceful and i bought 'Stalingrad by Antony Beevors' from the on site charity book shop there to study.

I found this book exceptional. Maybe a little too 'author opinionated' in some places but the opening sequences regards the Barborossa operation (on the diplomatic front) i found riveting!

In this difficult time I found myself in this time reminiscing at the good times on the Feldgrau- and the classic 'Bonzai' thread of the Commissar's!

Is there any sources of information that solely concentrates on the diplomatic, behind the scenes situation regards the major campaigns of the second world war?

Many thanks, Jez.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Stalingrad. Antony Beevors

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Sorry to hear of your loss, Kamerad. My condolences to your family.

Can't help you on the diplomatic query, though.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

Many thanks for those kind words Tom.
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

Any of you guys out there have studied or pondered the alternative concept of the Wehrmacht by-passing Stalingrad, concentrating slightly South occupying Rostov, Kalmykia and Astrakhan- thus securing the Northern flanks of a drive to conquer the caucasus and seize the majority of Stalin's oil production?
Prit
Contributor

Post by Prit »

Dear Jez

Of course I remember you, and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My sincere condolences.

John Erickson's two epic books 'The road to Stalingrad' and 'The road to Berlin' contain a lot of material about the political and diplomatic goings-on at the time. Likewise Sebag Montefiore's biography of Stalin, though it is heavy going. I used these sources for a lot of the account of the Yalta conference in my book.

Best wishes

Prit
Leandros
Supporter

Post by Leandros »

Jez wrote:Any of you guys out there have studied or pondered the alternative concept of the Wehrmacht by-passing Stalingrad, concentrating slightly South occupying Rostov, Kalmykia and Astrakhan- thus securing the Northern flanks of a drive to conquer the caucasus and seize the majority of Stalin's oil production?
I have looked a little on that but rather on a Northern bypass of Stalingrad than a Southern. As a matter of fact not executing Plan Blau at all.
http://www.fredleander.com - buy my book on Operation Sea Lion
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

Thanks for the reply Leandros.

Could you elaborate please? I find this scenario most interesting!
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

Hi Prit,

I hope you are well my friend and thankyou for those kind words.

Many thanks for those references and I shall look into sourcing these!

You've mentioned a book you have been working on- what is this?