Hubert Menzel photo - was he a Major in the OKH ?

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

diaryresearch

Hubert Menzel photo - was he a Major in the OKH ?

Post by diaryresearch »

Hello! I am doing research on a diary that my aunt kept when she toured Europe in 1938. On September 9, on a train from Munich to Vienna, she met a man named Hubert Menzel. He said he was the head of a military school in Berlin.

He wrote to her after she returned to the USA and said that he was with the first group that marched into Czechoslovakia. I am Googling that and find no record. See my copy/paste below this photo. Here is a link to photo(s) that she took of him - both on the train, (I cropped his face) and standing outside the train. Does anyone know of the Hubert Menzel in this photo?

Here is a quote I found on a web site: Hubert Menzel was a major in the General Operations Department of the OKH (the Oberkommando des Heers, the German Army headquarters), and for him the idea of invading the Soviet Union in 1941 had the smack of cold, clear logic to it: 'We knew that in two years' time, that is by the end of 1942, beginning of 1943, the English would be ready, the Americans would be ready, the Russians would be ready too, and then we would have to deal with all three of them at the same time.... We had to try to remove the greatest threat from the East.... At the time it seemed possible.'