General Huttner, Kreigsmarine Festung Den Helder and Stamm,

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
alan newark
Supporter

General Huttner, Kreigsmarine Festung Den Helder and Stamm,

Post by alan newark »

Hi, Feldies...Best wishes to all and a request for help

As older Feldgrau users will know I have, since 1989, been researching the 1945 mutiny and partisan campaign on the Dutch island of Texel of the Wehrmacht's 822 Georgia Infantry Battalion.

Part of that research has, when I have had some spare moments, looked at the nearby mainland port and Kreigsmarine base of Den Helder and its local Festung Stamm unit, at Beverwijk and at the 163rd Marine Schutzen Regiment, the 800-strong unit which chiefly countered the Texel rebellion.

I have yet to find War Diaries or other Texel Mutiny - related documents of these units. Feldgrau.com lists local Marine Artillerie and Flak abteilungs, some elements of which would have participated in shelling of Texel. I have that information but, again, no War Diaries or other mutiny information from these units.

Documenbts relating to Den Helder and Texel from the German 88 Korps and 30 Korps and to Kreigsmarine archives are ever welcome.

A Canadian website recently provided the gem that in May 1945 the local area commander was a Genereal Huttner. I have conducted widespread Internet research but can find nothing relating to Huttner or his role in the Den Helder area.

Can members help with any kind of information? Receiprocal research guaranteed.

Besten..Alan Newark
www.dpcamps.org (1st Vice-President)
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: General Huttner, Kreigsmarine Festung Den Helder and Stamm,

Post by fridgeman »

Hello Alan! Maybe they spelled the name not 100% correct? There is a Generalmajor Hans Hüttner, who
was commander of "Festung Jyuimiden" in the netherlands in early 1945. He was also a holder of the knight's cross.
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

LXXXVIII corps records do not go into 1945, other than a few days of January. As for XXX corps, I am unsure.

Mad Dog
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

Hi, Fridgeman and Mad Dog!

Many thanks for your swift and helpful replies.

The alternative spelling and its search results could lead to other info? Also, Mad Dog, bless you for the LXXXVIII Korps and 30 Korps answer. I know that there was a fire, some years ago, in a national German archive (Freiburg?) and that many War Diaries were destroyed.

I have long sought a War Diary for Festung Den Helder, indeed for early-1945 records of any German Army and Kriegsmarine units in the Texel - Den Helder - Beverwijk zone...e.g. for the 963 Marine Schutzen Regiment.

Also, the War Diary of 1 Survey Regiment, the Canadian unit which. on 18 May 1945 liberated Texel, gives almost no information as to how long the unit was on Texel or how the unit conducted everyday military and civil affairs activities.

In contrast, I have found a website which contains many documents of British and Canadian artillery units. That site has what looks like the War Diary of the regiment which liberated and evacuated numerous German from and through the nearby island of Vlieland. This gem of a find fills in many of the gaps in my awareness of how the Dutch Friesian Islands were administered by Canadian 1st Corps forces.

That said I would welcome at any time any information or materials which relate to Texel, the other islands, Den Helder and the surrounding area both from 01 January - late-1945 and, especially, during the Texel Mutiny period of 05-06 April till 20 May 1945 and until and including their evacuation and repatriation to Soviet jurisdiction on and after 17 June 1945 and from 21 June, when they arrived at a Canadian-guarded transit camp in Wlihelmshaven and their repatriation via Magdeburg on 25 August 1945.

Thanks for your help guys and feel free to seek my help if needed.

Best and groetjes

Al:->
www.dpcamps.org (1st Vice-President)
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

Hi Alan,
There is some info to be found here in Holland (I have even a small booklet) about that episode on Texel.You should try to find the KTB.
When you are looking for more info try http://www.fortendenhelder.nl
When not succesful, you can ask me again.
bye
René
http://www.luchtoorlog.net
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

Texel and the Georgiers:
(only in Dutch)

See also: http://www.lomt.nl/Historie_Georgiers.htm