How do you rate Kurowski against Tieke?

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
heinz kling

How do you rate Kurowski against Tieke?

Post by heinz kling »

Do you know anything about them personally? Was Tieke in the GvB division?
Chris
Supporter

Hi Heinz

Post by Chris »

Hi Heinz

W. Tieke, didn't serve in "GvB". He volunteered for the SS-VT in 1940, and was later transferred to Regiment "Nordland". After this assignment he was again, in 1944, transfered to the 18th SS-Division "Horst Wessel". In the final month of the war he served with SS-Brigade "Westfalen".

(Source: Der Freiwillige)

Regards
Chris
heinz kling

So he's a veteran

Post by heinz kling »

What about Kurowski? Did Kratschmar wrote more books after his work on th Waffen SS RK Trager?

Thanks.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

While Wilhelm Tieke wrote very usable Books & Articles Kurowski published mostly crap without any worth !

Jan-Hendrik
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Is Wilhelm Tieke still alive?

Regards,

Helmut
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Yes he is , but is health is not so well anymore ...

Jan-Hendrik
tjk
Supporter

Post by tjk »

I find Tieke's works to be much more readable. Kurowski's works seem more disjointed and I question the quality of some of his research.
Panzeralex
Supporter

Post by Panzeralex »

I didn't read all books the Tieke, but, for example his book about Berlin - Das ende zwishen Oder und Elbe - Der Kampf um Berlin 1945 - its a very great and interesting book.
It is one of the best books about battle for Berlin.

Best regards,
Panzeralex
Michate
Contributor

Post by Michate »

I think a few works from Kurowski are acceptable, if not good (the book on the Sturmgeschütz units he co-authored and a book on Stalingrad containing some interesting information) but even in these you have to read over the somewhat larmoyant style and be careful and better cross-compare specific claims as you can never be sure it is just Landser gossip.

From what I have seen and heard the later of his books you can safely throw away.

From Tieke I have seen his "The Caucasus and the Oil" and his "The end between Oder and Elbe" and I think both are quite good books with a lot of detail.
Would like to see his other books on the Crimea and the SS unit histories.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

The "Kampf um die Krim" is on level of detail even better than "Der Kaukasus und das Öl" 8)

"Im Feuersturm letzter Kriegsjahre" , well a really good one , much better than "Tragödie um die Treue" , which is good but you need the "additions "Korps Steiner" and Herbert Pollers book about the SS-PzAA 11 to get this detail level he reached in his work about II.SS-PzKps !

Jan-Hendrik
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Re: How do you rate Kurowski against Tieke?

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

By the way, a funny guy called "Goldsworthy" made out of Tieke an "SS-Officer" in a not really well researcherd SS-Book.... :shock:

Wilhelm was SS-Oberscharführer....not so good quibbing around on such a complex matter when even the basics seem to cause so much confusion :!:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

Hi!

Tieke did some pioner work back in the mid 1960s, who went on to be the Tragödie um die Treue in 1968. I have been in contact with him several times through letter and he was dissapointed back in the 1960s when he started to write about the III.(germ.)SS-Pz.Korps. Much of the higher officers within the Corps was still alive but he received little or no responce from them. So much of the material are from the ranks among NCOs, private and lower level of officers. Neither did he have any material from Bundesarchive as we know about today, i.e. recomondation to Knight Crosses and German cross in Gold.

He gathered together diaries, manuscrips and worte to participants who then wrote back to him about their experience. He even tried to contact norwegians in the Regiment Norge, but as he told me he received no responce, thats one of the reasons that there is not so much information on Rgt. Norge in the book.

Regards
Regiment Norge
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

He did much "Pioneer work" that "real historians" denied to do...or even still do so :?:

For example Kaukasus and Krim are still topics noone else tried to put his fingers on. Or his book on the Berlin Battle, were he was, comparing with the archival material I gathered around the years, closer to the historical truth than many of his "succeessors" :!:

Cheers

Jan-Hendrik
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Kurowski was soldier ?