If I were Hitler...

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Freiritter
Associate

If I were Hitler...

Post by Freiritter »

Hello, Feldgrauers!

It's been a while since my last post; the concerns of a newly married husband and father.... I've been reading William L. Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third ReichMy contention is that Hitler would have occupied Russia according to plan and then focused the war on the naval and air blockade against Britain and the U.S. If he didn't have to save Italian and Vichy French interests in the Mediterranean, Africa and the Middle East. I think with the no longer tied down Wehrmacht bleeding to death on the Ostfront, the strengthened Wehrmacht in the West would've shut down the Combined Bomber Offensive and fought the Western Allies to a stalemate; if not breaking the British in the Atlantic.

What do you all think?

Cordially,

Freiritter
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: If I were Hitler...

Post by phylo_roadking »

It's stretching things not a little to say he saved Vichy France interests in the Med, or Africa!

No support for Syria/Lebanon in 1941, the Germans outright annexed Tunisia in 1942, and no support either for Madagascar...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

My bad. I meant my post as a what if, alternate history speculation. If the Soviets fell in 1941, what would WWII have been like? As for Vichy, I was wrong. It was under Germany s thumb. Sorry. :(
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
von_noobie
Associate

Post by von_noobie »

Tho i find it difficult to believe the Soviets would fall in '41, i guess it is possible as if memory serves me, Stalin did ask a man (Russian envoy i believe) in Bulgaria? to ask for peace terms, Which only didn't go ahead due to said man saying no because the Soviets would win anyway. but fir sake of the argument peace deal went through and the Germans get Ukraine, Belarus, Caucasus etc.

Seeing as the advance would have played hell on there equipment and troops, And short term advantage would be negligible as all of maybe 1,100 tanks and 1,500 aircraft (give or take) where in any condition from there starting number of 3,600 tanks and 4,300 aircraft.

But in the longterm Malta would fall, Egypt would Fall as would the Mid East, Persia could very well have sided with Germany once Axis borders where touching with theirs, As the Persians where very friendly with the Germans.

Gibraltar would be in a bad position, Not guaranteed for successful German/Italian invasion but always small chance if no other fronts eating up resources.

After that in any ones guess, Invasion of France would be put back several years as the main fighting would have to first take place in Persia/Mid East/N Africa, With Russia tho, Would they stay out of the war in the future or would they come back with a vengeance?