US Republican candidate re-enacting SS Wiking Division

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

panzermahn
Associate

US Republican candidate re-enacting SS Wiking Division

Post by panzermahn »

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: US Republican candidate re-enacting SS Wiking Division

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I still think the hoopla over this is foolish. He is interested in a certain period in history, so what?

What about the guys that reenact the British Army at Lexington and Concord every April? Are they somehow disloyal traitors?

How about all those guys who have a great interest in the War Between the States? Is everyone involved in reenacting Pickett's Charge suddenly now a slave-owning racist?

This is a crock.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

AMEN I have a good friend who was a reenactor; does not have time anymore, so had to give it up.
He Was a U.S. Paratrooper Sergeant. Reenacted WWII US Marines AND WWII Waffen SS, in which he acted as Ustuf.
I even have a foto wearing his Feldgrau tunic and cap, as such.
But . . . getting close to election time, if they don't have anything positive to offer, they resort to vilify the opponent.
I am getting sick and tired of the TV ads, slinging mud at each other.
We had a Governor for 8 years who was nicknamed "Taxhaber". Under his "leadership", the state went to pot.
Now he has the guts to run again. And our traveler/vacationer in chief , Mr.Soetoero, even came over to put up some propaganda for him.
Thank God, only a few more weeks, and than we will have the best government money can buy
.Haen.
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

If Lott is wearing a SS uniform at a re-enactor event...

Post by L. Kafka »

...that should not cause any protest. But if it is attending socials and going around in public wearing an SS uniform, he is foolish and being exhibitionist. Let's face it: SS troopers were not ordinary German infantrymen, nor were they drafted into SS units.

I would also suggest that re-enactors think twice about wearing Nazi arm bands. Such devices should only be worn in serious historical settings.
"What are they going to do, send me to Vietnam?"
A oft heard GI refrain in Vietnam in '68.
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

What is the record of the Wiking Division?...

Post by L. Kafka »

How about a synopsis on what type of unit the Wiking Division was? On a person note, I've read that Rich Iott is a poser, that he claims as his occupation "soldier." Iott never served in the military. He belongs to some type of Ohio militia.
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

quote: Let's face it: SS troopers were not ordinary German infantrymen, nor were they drafted into SS units.
end quote.
WRONG !!! as the war progressed, MANY men were put in the waffen SS without volunteering.
"Guest"workers in particular were often pressed to sign up. Also P.O.W.'s were 'recruited" at times.
So , where the original Waffen SS units were "elite" as we now want to describe them, the later formed divisions were not all that "elite", nor all volunteers.
The joke of the time was: Can he walk ?, does he have at least one eye ? can he hold a rifle ? "accepted" for duty!.
just an observation
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

I have no problem with being corrected...

Post by L. Kafka »

But what was the record of the Wiking Division? I watched the Wiking re-enactors recruiting video. Maybe it's because I was a Marine infantryman in Vietnam, but I find being involved with the Ohio Wikings not to be appealing. I think I'd rather do paint ball combat.
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

Then again, most people in Ohio...

Post by L. Kafka »

...probably think that SS has something to do with a Chevrolet. :wink:
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

Rich Iott did not get elected to Congress...

Post by L. Kafka »

But I hear is going to work for a restaurant called Waffles SS. :shock:
AHK
Contributor

Post by AHK »

Do you actually attend Panther games? I guess after Vietnam,you must like losers!
AHK
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

How does being a Lions fan sound?...

Post by L. Kafka »

I was born in Detroit and spent most of my life there. I used to attend Lions games on cold winter days when they played at Tiger Stadium before they moved to the Pontiac Silverdome in 1974. Well, at least the Charlotte Panthers have been to the Super Bowl. The Lions are the last of the pre-1970 AFL-NFL merger teams not to have been to the Super Bowl. Among other NFL team only Jacksonville and Houston haven't been to the Super Bowl.

I wonder if I wore a SS Viking Division uniform to a Minnesota game if anyone would get it. :wink:
auslander

Post by auslander »

The WSS did in fact conscript starting about 1943. And the complete saying was What you gona do about it shave my head ,call me a Marine, send me to Viet Nam, well woopty F*****g boing boing. This coment was generaly reserved for lifers who had a sever death wish. :D :D