Comment on "Countryfile" on BBC1 tonight in the UK

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Comment on "Countryfile" on BBC1 tonight in the UK

Post by phylo_roadking »

"Next week we'll be visiting Slapton Sands, where the British Army trained for the infamous D-Day Landings."
INFAMOUS??? :x :x :x

What the f.........

I've just sent a complaint to the BBC, demanding an explanation, via https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Comment on "Countryfile" on BBC1 tonight in the UK

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Wasn't that when the evil Allies wrought all that destruction on the picturesque Norman coast? :?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

In case anyone should not understand why you would have problems with their statement INFAMOUS I am posting Websters definition of INFAMOUS.

A few years ago we had a Hispanic Veteran of the Middle East Wars killed, he was from our area. One of my Hispanic co workers was so upset with the notice of the Veterans death in our paper.

I asked him what had him so upset and he said "READ THIS FOR YOURSELF!" It states the Hispanic Veteran who was killed did a number of thing NOT worthy of mention!

I said to my Hispanic co worker, it doesn't say " He did many things NOT worthy of mention, it says he did many thing NOTE WORTHY OF MENTION. I said that means he did so many fine things not all could be mentioned. I suggested he work on his English before he reads too many more newspapers in English.

So I thought in case someone does not under the meaning of INFAMOUS I would post the definition.

A few years ago the HISTORY CHANNEL HERE IN AMERICA ran a Memorial Day Special. BUT it was only of the British Actions in World War Two. I wrote the HISTORY CHANNEL TO REMIND THEM THIS IS AMERICA, WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE A MEMORIAL SHOW FOCUSING ON AMERICAN VETERANS.

The person apologized and said they had not thought of the fact it was the American Memorial Day and showing only British Actions during the war was in poor taste. They never did it again.

We had a Boss like that we were all on what we call FM frequency and he was always on AM. The British seem to be on another wave length. Their own.

Main Entry: in·fa·mous
Pronunciation: \ˈin-fə-məs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin infamis, from in- + fama fame
Date: 14th century
1 : having a reputation of the worst kind : notoriously evil <an infamous traitor>
2 : causing or bringing infamy : disgraceful <an infamous crime>
3 : convicted of an offense bringing infamy

— in·fa·mous·ly adverb
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Probably like so many other programs, the writers, proofreaders, and editors don't have a bloody clue as to what they're talking about. Ninety-nine times out of a 100, nobody that notices does anything about it. Then there's people like us...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

Well put my friend well put!
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

American schools have put history in the closet. I volunteered in two First Grades and a Second Grade for a year.

There were NO photos or pictures of Abraham Lincoln so I photocopied only his image off a $5.00 bill to show the kids who he was.

On 12/7/1956 our Third Grade Teacher read us an interview with a young airman who survived the Attack on Hickman Army Air Corp Field on 12/7/1941. Then she said "And that young airman's' son is in our class today!" We were all excited because she left the mans' name out.

It was me. I could not believe it my father never mentioned that he was there on the morning of the Attack. I learned this from our Third Grade Teacher in History Class.

That night I asked my father and he was so surprised that I had learned this and then I told him.

When I volunteered a year ago not even the teachers mentioned Pearl Harbor on 12/7/2009.

Years ago I began to see it with our sons. I was watching a WWII movie and my youngest son asked me if this really happened. I told him to ask his Grandfather about WWII and what he was doing during that time.

I know here in the states thousands of WWII Veterans die daily of age and illness, this has to be true of all the countries involved.

I am a member of a World War II Round Table Group and monthly we have Veterans tell their story and it is filmed and recorded for the Library of Congress.

PS. One of the best speakers we had was a German POW who was captured in North Africa. He was excellent and assured everyone he would stay until all their questions were answered after his talk. His father was also captured and was a Lutheran Minister before he was drafted into the war. The Lutheran Church Leadership was able to them reunited in the same POW camp here in the USA.
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Probably like so many other programs, the writers, proofreaders, and editors don't have a bloody clue as to what they're talking about.
Normally, yes - this would be an acceptable get-out for them....

BUT....

This is the BBC - who every time there's a major commemoration of the D-Day landings spend dozens of hours of broadcasting time covering them, especially when there's thousand's of viewers grandfathers and great grandfathers there for "possibly the last time"...and the Great And The Good gathered for the event...

They can miraculously get it right THEN...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hmmm.....infamous sounds perfectly logical to me in this context.
After all, the program is Countryfile so with all the shelling, trenchdigging, bombcratering, farmdestruction and general mayhem brought to the countryside what else than infamous could it be to them? :D
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Paulus II wrote:... so with all the shelling, trenchdigging, bombcratering, farmdestruction and general mayhem brought to the countryside ...
That was Landscaping :shock: @{ :roll: !!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Tom Houlihan wrote:That was Landscaping :shock: @{ :roll: !!
:D :D :D

Ever considered a careerchange Tom?
Remarks like this would make you a perfect Nature-and-Bill-Oddie-bashing co-presenter on Top Gear. 8)
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

I read yesterday that a contestant on "Masterchef" infamously cut his finger while cutting vegetables. I was in Canberra & the language coming out of our nations capital is confusing at the best of time.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Infamy, infamy... they've ALL got it in fa me. Sorry.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Quelimane

Post by Quelimane »

.........and another thing - it wasn't the British Army that trained at Slapton for D-Day, but the US Army. South Devon was a US assembly area.

Q
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

Another error by Countryfile -a Royal Navy Lieutenant Commander is described as being a 'corporal'!!!! Countryfile might be good at cows, but not good at military history!!!