Festung Kolberg 1945: Battle Report

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Stephan H.
Contributor

Festung Kolberg 1945: Battle Report

Post by Stephan H. »

I’m going to post the following seven page report of the defense at Kolberg 1945 prepared by its commander Fritz Wilhelm Hermann Fullriede for others who might be interested. I located this in the KTB of H.Gr. Weichsel, but I’ve decided not to focus on the fighting in Pomerania even though it fell under Himmler’s authority.

Hopefully others find it of interest, and perhaps someone might post translated summaries for those non-German reading members.

Cheers,
Stephan
Attachments
0643_jpg.jpg
0643_jpg.jpg (167.01 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
0644_jpg.jpg
0644_jpg.jpg (206.21 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
0645_jpg.jpg
0645_jpg.jpg (198.63 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
0646_jpg.jpg
0646_jpg.jpg (208.51 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
0647_jpg.jpg
0647_jpg.jpg (204.77 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
Stephan H.
Contributor

Re: Festung Kolberg 1945: Battle Report

Post by Stephan H. »

Here is the rest.
Attachments
0648_jpg.jpg
0648_jpg.jpg (203.96 KiB) Viewed 8540 times
0649_jpg.jpg
0649_jpg.jpg (151.31 KiB) Viewed 8540 times
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Missed this until Jan-Hendrik pointed it out over at AHF. :shock: Thanks to both. :up: :up: :up: :up:

And here's a little snippet from Oven's diary (Finale Furioso: Mit Goebbels bis zum Ende, Grabert Verlag, Tübingen, 1974)
Thursday March 22nd 1945

In Pomerania Kolberg has fallen after its encircled, meagre garrison offered heroic resistance for fifteen days. On orders from above, the Wehrmacht communiqué does not report this fact, even though we reported that the city and its defenders were encircled. It makes no sense to a junior Party member. We no longer mention Kolberg and that’s that. How simple it is to deal with things in an authoritarian state! The reason for our embarrassing silence about Kolberg is obvious. We’ve just had the glittering premiere of Veit Harlan’s film Kolberg, we’ve praised it in our propaganda as the epitome of determination, we’ve delivered copies of this film, in some cases with the greatest difficulty, by U-boat and aircraft to our Atlantic bases in the West and our encircled fortresses in the East to inspire courage and the spirit of resistance in those who are fighting in hopeless positions. And now the real Kolberg has shown that all the courage, all the determination is to no avail if you extinguish the light of life with rocket launchers and ground-attack aircraft. No, we simply ignore such facts. That contradicts our idea, so these events simply didn’t happen. We act as if there was never a city named Kolberg.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Thanks Stephan, fully appreciated :wink:. Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Gents, you are all welcome. I just couldn’t find a way to fit it into my projects and I didn’t want it languishing on my hard drive.
In addition, I can the following information:

-In general, there isn’t too much about Kolberg in the H.Gr. Weichsel KTB. Once it was surrounded, operations were handled almost exclusively by Fullriede. There was regular radio communication between Fullriede and H.Gr. W. Ia.

-On 14 March Eismann recommended to Himmler (who was still in command of the H.Gr.) that Fullriede receive the Ritterkreuz before it was too late—“. . .damit es nicht zu spät wird.” There was no record I found suggesting that Himmler authorized it before he left command on the 20th.

-In a postwar interview, Heinrici mentioned that when Fullriede made it back to Swinemünde Hitler had wanted to have him shot for evacuating Kolberg, but Manteuffel and his staff treated him to a royal welcome at the port, and he was promptly awarded the Ritterkreuz, thereby “saving” him. Hopefully I’m not confusing this with a statement made by Eismann, but after reading and writing about this period for the last two years, this starts to blend together. If I can dig this incident out of my files, I’ll post a more accurate accounting, however, if someone knows more about the incident please post it here.

Cheers,
Stephan
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

As it turns out, I was able to work the fighting for Kolberg into The Oder Front 1945, Volume II. So for those who do not easily read German this report will be translated in its entirety for my second volume and I'll also add some other tid-bits about the battle.

Cheers