1.kleiner Gebirgsfernsprechtrupp

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Tanker Mike
Supporter

1.kleiner Gebirgsfernsprechtrupp

Post by Tanker Mike »

Hello,

I am not sure I have translated this right.

1.kleiner Gebirgsfernsprechtrupp translates to

1st Portable Mountain Telephone Section

Kleiner means small but I wonder if I should translate it as portable or small or am I wrong on both counts?

Mike
"It is well war is so terrible, we should grow too fond of it."
-Gen. Robert E. Lee
kurt74

Re: 1.kleiner Gebirgsfernsprechtrupp

Post by kurt74 »

Hello,
in this case the word "smal" can discribe different conditions. For example a squad could be equipted with a radio-set with lower capacity, it could mean a portable set or even the composition and equipment of the squad (e.g. amored vehicles,mules,etc).
hero.
Supporter

Re: 1.kleiner Gebirgsfernsprechtrupp

Post by hero. »

Hello Mike and Tom !

Small would be the better translation. But the last point from Kurt is the important one !

The term "kleiner ...Fernsprechtrupp" is a designation, that refers to a certain kind of KStN.
There were kleine, mittlere and grosse Fernsprech- and Funk-trupps, and within each group
different types (a, b, a(mot), Gebirgs ...), depending on the type of unit they were used in.
Each designation small, medium, large, stands for a different composition according to :
men, weapons, vehicles and equipment,
which also varied with time !

For example, in 1939, a
- kleiner Fernsprechtrupp a, consisted of 1 Uffz., 3 enlisted men, had no vehicles or horses and
was equipped with 4 km le.(ichtes) Feldkabel [type of wire],
- kleiner Fernsprechtrupp c, consisted of 1 Uffz., 3 enl. men (1 driver), 1 motor vehicle, 4 km s.(chweres) FK and 4 km le. FK
- grosser Fernsprechtrupp a, consisted of 1 Uffz., 9 enl. men, 7 horses, 1 horsedrawn vehicle, 10 km s. (heavy) Feldkabel (FK)
[From : Die Heeresnachrichtentruppe der Wehrmacht 1935 - 1945, H.-G. Kampe]

To give you a better impression on the meaning of KStN, some examples in the links below :
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn8291mar39.htm
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn366a1okt37.htm

Best regards,
hero.