1944 battle of the scheldt

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Buck_Compton

1944 battle of the scheldt

Post by Buck_Compton »

I'm in search for all divisions and regiments wicht fought against the canadians polish british and dutch forces in the westerschelde area in october and november 1944. i need especially their exact names and their commander names (if possible a picture of them) and their regimental sign.

Greetz Buck
Dackelstaffel
Contributor

Post by Dackelstaffel »

Hi,

I kown a little about geograhy but what is the dutchs call Scheldt. Is it the space between Antwerp and the North sea ?
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket.
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Guess you mean the Schelde River, which crosses Antwerp from south to north and ends in Holland in the Ooster- and Westerschelde. German forces tried to keep the Allied forces from crossing this river in August 1944.
Former member
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

"Buck",

The actions you're researching and the involved units are described in great detail in the book "Brabant Bevrijd" by Jack Didden & Maarten Swarts (Van Geyt Productions - ISBN 90 5327 064 7)
Former member
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Hello,
I give you some information on your request.
This area was defended by the 67th Armeekorps commanded by General Sponheimer
The 67th Armeekorps belong to the 15th Armee commanded by General von Zangen
Here you have de composition of this Armeekorps
--719th Infanteriedivision with Infanterieregiment 723, Infanterieregiment 743 and Artilerieregiment 719
This Division was in front of the Polish troops
--711th Infanteriedivision with Infanterieregiment 731, Infanterieregiment 744 and Artillerieregiment 731
This Division was holding the Brecht area
--346th Infanteriedivision with Grenadierregiment 857, Grenadierregiment 858 and Artillerieregiment 346
Unknown area
You must add at this some rests of the 344th Infanteriedivision as also the 346th Infanteriedivision on the right of the 67th Armeekorps in north of Antwerpen
Sponheimer had also some reserveunits like the:
--Sturmgeschutz Brigade 280
--Scwere Flakabteilung 559
--70th Infanteriedivision with Grenadierregiment 1018, Grenadierregiment 1019, Grenadierregiment 1020 and Artilerieregiment 170. This division hold the Isle of Walcheren area called Festung Schelde-Nord by the Germans
There was also the 64th Infanteriedivision with the:
Grenadierregimenten 1037,1038 and 1039 and Artilerieregiment 164.
This Division was standing in the Breskens area called Festung Schelde-Sud.
There was also reduced to 5000 man the 245th InfanterieDivision with the:
Grenadieregimenten 935, 936 and 937 and Artilerieregiment 245
At least there was in case of emergency the Kampfgruppe Chill, commanded by General Kurt Chill with the:
--Fallschirmjager regiment 6 and the rests of some units like the Infanteriedivisionen 84, 85 and 89
I hope that this information can help you a little bit and y ask you to apolige my bad English but it is my schoolenglish and that's far away.
Im writing from Belgium and it is more easely to write in French or Flemish for me
Kind regards :wink:
Prosper
P.S. All the text is a translation of the original french version that I found in '' Militaria Magazine '' n° 32 and subtitled '' 1944, Combats sur l'Escaut ''
what you can translate by ''1944, Battle on the river Schelde''
Buck_Compton

taal

Post by Buck_Compton »

Heej het kan ook in het nederlands hoor. maar heel erg bedankt voor je informatie :) ik denk dat ik hier wel wat mee ga opschieten. het is voor een modificatie van het spel close combat 5 daar had ik duitse battlegroups voor nodig.

mja thnx any way. als jij nog goede namen weten van sites waar ik info kan vinden over deze divisies en regimenten ben ik je heel erg dankbaar.

Greetz Buck
A.C.E. van T.

Re: 1944 battle of the scheldt

Post by A.C.E. van T. »

Hi Buck,

Long time no see.
Don't know your game,but if your intressted I can give you a battle tour of the Woensdrecht-county and S-Bergen op Zoom area.
The German defence from Putte on to Bergen op Zoom and explain why the Canadian walk right into a death trap.

Somebody told me that if von der Heydte had know that there was only one Canadian Inf. Division and one Armoured Division between them and Antwerp he would have gone in the offence instead of just defending the vital Flushing - Bergen op Zoom railroad.
And I think this might be real assumption.

There is only one problem.
I don't have a drivers licence,flying is more interessting
Greetings A.C.E.