Sdkfz 250 in Poland 1939

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Keith

Sdkfz 250 in Poland 1939

Post by Keith »

52c3_1.jpg
52c3_1.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
Recently came across a photo which appears to show this vehicle in service during the Polish campaign. Most sources would indicate the 250 was not in service until 1940 or 1941. It would seem there were at least a few vehicles being trialled in this early campaign.

To see the original web page, go to the Blitzkrieg Commander wargames site. In the forum, under BKC Miniatures, I have managed to post the lengthy link to the original Polish language site. Couldn't get it to paste into this post. The photo in question is the 10th from the bottom of the original web page.

Any comments welcomed, Keith Flint.
NagaSadow

Re: Sdkfz 250 in Poland 1939

Post by NagaSadow »

I presume you think that the picture was taken in Poland 1939 because of the crosses?
I think the picture shows Sd.Kfz.253 and was taken 1941 in Russia. Several Stu.Gesch.Abt. used huge and thin Balkenkreuze, that, if seen from a distance, looked like the crosses used in the Polish campaign 1939.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi Keith and NagaSadow,

In Walter J. Spielberger's "Die Halbkettenfahrzeuge des deutschen Heeres" there is one little sentence in the chapter dealing with the SdKfz 250 that caught my attention:

"Die 1939 erscheinenden ersten Prototypen waren teilweise noch mit dem Maybach 'NL 38' Motor ausgerüstet, die ab 1940 zur Verfügung stehenden Produktionsmodelle erhielten jedoch den Maybach 'HL 42 TUKRR' Motor."

So apparently prototypes were produced in 1939, but if they were actually issued to units..........?

best regards,

Paul
NagaSadow

Post by NagaSadow »

According to Jentz in PT15-1 the first 15 pre-production 250 were produced in 1940, followed by first serial vehicles in May/June 1941(!). Apparently le.S.P.W.250 were used neither in Poland 1939, France 1940 nor the Balkans in 1941. First operational use was in Russia 1941. :[]
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi NagaSadow,

I know what Jentz says...and happen to agree with him :wink:

One should, however, take all available information into consideration and Spielberger is (mostly) not be discarded lightly. Even when Jentz disagrees.

Best regards,

Paul
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I would agree that, given the available information, Russia is the most likely location, with the balkenkreuz having the appearance of solid white crosses. However, I myself doubt they are 253s: having four of these together would be unusual, and the shape of the open door on the lead vehicle seems to be different from the rear door of a 253. Nevertheless, the thought that they just might be operating in Poland is tantalising.

It would be interesting to know what the posts on the Polish forum were saying. Any Polish speakers out there?

Best wishes, Keith.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi Keith,

They may well be in Poland, just not in 1939.
The writing on the wall is not in the cyrillic alphabet which would argue against their being in Russia. It could be Poland just before the start of Barbarossa or the part of Poland that was taken over by the Russians in 1939 after the start of Barbarossa.
Or one of the Baltic countries for that matter.

Though the crosses appear to be solid white I'm not so sure about the cross on the second vehicle, there is a hint of grey lines running through the middle of it. Could be due to old photo's, damaged negatives, badly reproduced or something like that, that makes them seem to be solid white. Can't be sure though :( .

I agree they probably aren't Sdkfz 253's.

best regards,

Paul
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

Keith wrote:
It would be interesting to know what the posts on the Polish forum were saying. Any Polish speakers out there?

Best wishes, Keith.

Keith, if you need any help with that discussion board just let me know. Here's direct link to it http://odkrywca.pl/transportery-w-wehrm ... 29495.html

Regards
Jacek
http://www.stg.online.pl

The first Polish site entirely dedicated to the German MKb - MP 43/44 - StG assault rifles. Auch auf Deutsch.