advice re: maps for operation blau and Stalingrad

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

sw18x

advice re: maps for operation blau and Stalingrad

Post by sw18x »

Hello everyone

I am a relative novice to the eastern front having read the usual popular titles (Craig, Beevor, etc.) but now I'm looking to study the combat operations revolving around Stalingrad in more detail. I recently purchased David Glantz's To the Gates of Stalingrad, and plan on purchasing the other titles in the trilogy, as well as Jason Marks' Island of Fire. I would like a solid collection of maps which will help me follow Glantz's text, and I'm seeking some advice on this. Unfortunately, it seems I arrived on this forum just a few weeks too late, given the suspension of the operational map project. Perhaps a member who was fortunate enough to access maps relating to operation Blau and Stalingrad would be willing to make a copy of selected maps? Or point me in the right direction for another source of high quality maps. I have read that there is an atlas of combat operations published by David Glantz himself (Atlas of Operation Blau: The German Advance to Stalingrad, 28 June-18 October 1942) but 1.) the list price is $80.00; 2.) I'm not sure if it is even available as I've received no response from the website as of yet; and 3.) although I'd be willing to pay this money if I was sure of the quality of the maps, the quality of maps in To the Gates of Stalingrad is fairly poor to begin with. Is anyone familiar with this atlas? Are there any other publications I should consider? I would appreciate your help.

SW
william russ
Supporter

Re: advice re: maps for operation blau and Stalingrad

Post by william russ »

Hi Sw18x,
I have a copy of Glantz's Stalingrad map set. It's a mixed bag of good and bad maps. The problem is that he copied the maps from the microfilm rolls and I can tell you from my own experience that making paper copies from the microfilms were not the best way to transpose them. Today we have the ability to transfer the microfilm frames to electronic copies that look much better. The best way to get good maps is to buy the microfilm roll that has the maps in DVD form from the National Archives. I will look up the microfilm number so you will know which one it is. That is if you want to order it :wink: .

best regards, Bill
Inquiring minds want to know.
sw18x

Re: advice re: maps for operation blau and Stalingrad

Post by sw18x »

Bill,

Thanks for the response, I would be interested in ordering these if they would add to my understanding of the battle. I own a collection of Feldpost from a Hauptfeldwebel with a medical unit in the 71st Infantry division and am interested in following its progress in particular. Can I ask if the maps relating to Stalingrad and Blau are located on a single roll or are they scattered among several? Is the price reasonable? Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected].

Thanks again,

Steve