Favorite German plane

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
august
Supporter

Re: Favorite German plane

Post by august »

how to choose? probably my favorite is the Focke-Wulf Fw 200 (Condor) maritime bomber. germany needed and never developed a true long range heavy bomber in any suffucuent numbers to affect the outcome of the war. a serious error, when these could have been used in russia and on almost every front.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
august
Supporter

Post by august »

thank you phylo. i am aware of the condors shortcomings. my choice was purely based on aesthetics. it was a beautiful ship...no?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Beautiful in looks - but not in wartime mufti LOL When you see a wingspan like that, the alarm bells for bombload etc. ring immediately :wink: for if a plane is depending on aerodynamics alone for its perfromance, then you just know there's a compromise in there somewhere :(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

thought about this the other night... How about the HE 115... now that was a good looking plane.
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
bf109 emil

Post by bf109 emil »

Ju87 Stuka....nothing looks or sounds(dive siren) more Luftwaffe then this plane does
"Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done."
august
Supporter

Post by august »

i have to agree.
Florin
Supporter

Post by Florin »

Me-262 - from what reached serial production.

From ideas and prototypes, it would be hard to choose: so many were so interesting. Maybe the stratospheric shuttle proposed by Dr. Sander.
ducatim901

Post by ducatim901 »

Me 410, Ju 188 and He 219.
I realy like the designs of these planes.
But i can imagen there are people that think these are ugly ones.
JK
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

For originality alone, any takers for the Blohm & Voss 189??
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Come to think of it, it's a BV 141 I'm thinking of...
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Mike36

Post by Mike36 »

I have flown the Me109(on the computer of course) Its nimble,fast and has a punch close with its cannon but does easily spin out of control if your not carefull.The Fw190 is powerfull and will take more punishment but does not manuever as well as the 109.The P40 is slow and heavy.The Thunderbolt is like flying a fast tank and will take a lotta hits.The Mustang will do some things well and chew you up with its 6 fifties.But that Japanese 'O' is my pick by far. It will jump around just wherever you want it to go it will get there.Will not take any punishment tho.If you get hit you have to get or your going down..

Mike
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Re: Favorite German plane is this ME 262 Trainer

Post by PA. Dutchman »

This is my favorite plane, it has been in our life for many years we passed on the way to my Aunts near the Airport. Then one year it was gone, this link will tell you the story and what happened to this ME262 Trainer.
http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/ ... /index.htm
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Re: Favorite German plane is this ME 262 Trainer

Post by PA. Dutchman »

PA. Dutchman wrote:This is my favorite plane, it has been in our life for many years we passed on the way to my Aunts near the Airport. Then one year it was gone, this link will tell you the story and what happened to this ME262 Trainer.
http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/ ... /index.htm
I may have mentioned this before, I have an older friend at church. He was all over Europe fox hole by fox hole during the War. I was telling him about this ME 262 and he told me he was sitting in a fox hole with a fellow trooper when a ME 262 flew over. He and his friend could not believe what they had just seen. NEVER HAD they seen anything like it before and he never lost that image in his mind.
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

A friend posted this on one of the other sites. The Collins Foundation has purchased one of the five reproductions of the ME 262 and will be flying it and desplaying it at air shows in the USA. You will be able purchase a ride in it in time.

http://forum.armyairforces.com/tm.aspx?m=187283

The Collings Foundation is proud to announce the addition of the only flying Me 262 in the United States to its collection of aircraft. The Me 262 will be joining The Wings of Freedom Tour with the B-17, B-24 and P-51 starting in 2010.

Willy Messerschmitt introduced the world to a whole new concept of cutting edge technology through the development of the first operational jet fighter, the Me-262. 60 years after the birth of the Me-262, the influence of this revolutionary jet can still be seen in contemporary aircraft. Swept wings, automatic slats, modular construction are all examples of technology introduced through the Me-262. More than any aircraft of its day, the 262 was a fighter of absolutely unrivalled potential. Full production of the Me-262 did not start until 1944, too late to affect the outcome of the war.

Me 262 Werk Number 501241 was a project that was started by Texas Aircraft Factory Inc. in conjunction with Classic Fighter Industries Inc and completed by the Me 262 Project in Everett, WA. It first flew on December 20th, 2002. It is a Me 262 B-1c which is the 2-seat version of the Me 262. At some point in the future we hope to be offer a flight training session on the Me 262 at over 100 locations nationwide each year."

Here is the link to the Collins Foundation and its lastest addition the ME 262

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/ma_me262.htm
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman