Another book value question

WWII era German related items being sought, sold or traded.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Another book value question

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

I have a very good condition copy of the original 1971 hardcover printing of George Robert Elford's book Devil's Guard. I see on some sites that this sells for $500 or more, can it really be worth that much? I paid $9.95 for it in a used bookstore some years ago.
Todd Starkey

Re: Another book value question

Post by Todd Starkey »

Marc,
Believe it or not the hardcover 1st edition is in the price range of $300 to $600 depending on condition. The book is heavily collected by members of the various SpecOps communities, as much if not more so than Spencer Chapman's "The Jungle is Neutral". The paperback version of Devil's Guard and its sequels also command a hefty price. I had many conversations with Bob Ruman of Articles of War regarding the possibility of reprinting not only the first book, but all three to be sold as a set. Bob never had any luck with contacting the author or his family in hopes to getting the rights for a reprint. The publisher only had an address in Spain with no other information available. If memory serves, Bob attempted to write numerous times with no luck as well as contacting numerous agencies in the UK trying to locate Elford. I have noticed that on Ebay that there is a group selling reprints of this title, though I doubt it is an authorized reprint knowing all the hassles Bob went through for naught! It is for those reasons the book is worth a pretty penny. I managed to give away 4-5 copies of this book during my time in the military and always buy paperback ones at second hand shops when found!