Russians behind 1941 coup in Yugoslavia?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Vinnie O
Supporter

Russians behind 1941 coup in Yugoslavia?

Post by Vinnie O »

I am currently reading "Sacred Secrets" by Jerrold and Leona Schecter. It describes in great detail Russian intelligence activities at the start of WW2.

At one point the book states that the anti-German coup in Yugoslavia had been planned far in advance and was specifically ordered to start in the Spring of 1941 to delay the German buildup in the East. Stalin believed that since the Serbs had held off the Austrians for 10 months during WW1 that the Yugoslavs would delay the German attack on Russia until 1942. Stalin guessed wrong, and the Yugoslavs were sacrificed pointlessly.

There is only brief mention of this episode in the book. Has anyone else heard anything along the same lines?
Vinnie O
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

I have got many doubts. The Beograd coup was a classic British initiative (with some US presidential aid by "Wild" Bill Donovan, who was so dumb, in March 1941, while travelling on a Yugo train, to let some SIM - Italian Army secret service - to catch, change, copy and change again his briefcase with an hell of top secret documents and records). Stalin decided, I think, to benefit from the Simovic putsch AFTER Prince Paul fall. The USSR guarantee to Yugoslavia was declared, a matter of fact, after the copu d'etait.
Before, in Spring 1940, USSR had promised a military help (mainly anti tank weapons) to Yougoslavia through Salonicco if the Italians had invaded the country. The sudden change in Moscow politic which happened in April 1940 put anyway an end at this overture.
Bye EC
GvB17SS
Supporter

Post by GvB17SS »

I agree with Enrico, one time more-
The plot against the legitimate Yogoslavian gouverment (with much simpathy to Axis powers) was organized and conducted by British and USA.
croat
Supporter

Completely a British staged coup

Post by croat »

I agree with the previous posters - the coup of General Simovic was entirely a British-organized and supported action. Simovic and his clique were anglophiles and monarchists, definitely not Communists or Communist sympathizers, and it is not likely that they would ever have even communicated with Stalin's agents, let alone been sponsored by the USSR.

Kind regards from Canada.
It is the inherent right of every nation to have its own nation state.
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Re: Russians behind 1941 coup in Yugoslavia?

Post by Kelvin »

Did Serbian miltary officers action led to disaster in their country ? I don't understand why Serbian officers accepted British aid to overthrow their government and challenge German. At that time, German on the winning side while Britain was in danger. And Yugoslavia was on bad terms with Italy and shared his border with Germany. If Hitler accepted Yugoslav alliance and at least protect her country for a short period of time. You see Bulgarian alliance with German made her suffered less. Even the death casualties of Romania and Hungary were less than Yugolsavia. Turkey remained neutal even her promise of miltary support to British in case war with Italy broke out. You see Bulgaria and Romania changed side when situation unfavourable to German. Yugoslavian miltary leadership made their country direct challenge to German. Hitler would not accept betrayal and his southern flank threathened by British RAF and did Yugoslav fooled by British ? Greek resistance to Axis is forced to do so, Yugoslav can make her decision wisely.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Kelvin- I think by the winter of 1940-41, the assistance Germany gave to Italian claims in the South of france in June 1940 , and Italian roles in the Compiegne Armistice doucument, would have let anyone know that going with Germany was NOT in any way a guarantee against Italy...ESPECIALLY in a non-strategic area where the Germans would be prepared to turn interests and control. over to the Italians to reduce the workload on themsleves...as long as the loaded train wagons kept rolling to Germany :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

What were the expectation of Yugoslav officerw when planning the coup ?
Glyndower

Post by Glyndower »

The officers involved in the coup may have resented the, as they saw it, pro German line of the king which would have placed Yugoslavia in a client state position to Germany. The British were involved in the planning of the coup though perhaps not unexpectidly given the results of the coup information on their role is difficult to find. The official history of British intelligence in the war gives if my memory is correct about two lines on it.

The British would have enthusiasticaly supported the plotters as anything that helped tie down German forces would be welcomed. At this time the British had no idea Hitler would strike east they expected a move through the Balkans and Turkey to evict them from the middle east. If they could involve German forces in war in the Balkans against Yugoslavia, Greece and Turkey this would maybe halt a German pincer movement on their middle eastern possesions.

The coup moved Yugoslavia out of the German camp and made a German move through the Balkans more difficult. By putting forces into Greece which they knew were far to small to defend the country (the evacuation was being planned before they saw a German soldier) but large enough to threaten German oil interests they ensured that German forces would be tied down in Greece. Though the British tried very hard Turkey wisely insisted on remaining neutral.
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Perhaps Yugoslav military leadership predicted German response or overestimated Yugoslav military strength to hold German onslaught. I think Yugoslav was made sacrifice by British intelligence and military for nothing. Yugolsav suffered 1.7 million casualties, the third casualties high ratio after Russia and Poland. Yugoslav understood fully their military backwardness and collapse of Polish army had told them already. Apart from Germany, Italy, Bulgaria and Hungary all had territorial design over her. German alliance maybe was a good option in 1941 and at least until 1944