Looking for a soldier

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Tolmein

Looking for a soldier

Post by Tolmein »

I'm researching the history of one german soldier for whom we don't know where did he died. This is assumed because he never returned home. I would kindly like to ask all of you for any information or help on this matter. I'm listing here everything I know at the moment about this person.

The name of the soldier was: Ramis / Ramiz / Ramo / Ramadan. Surname: Ahmetovic. I have four names because I dont know with which he was inscribed in the documents. Unfortunately I don't have any military ID. He was from Vucja Lokva. This is a village near Novi Pazar. In that time this was in Yugoslav kingdom, after the WWII was Yugoslav republic. Now it is in Serbia. He was muslim and he was a german soldier.
He went first to Kosovo for 3 months for training. Than he returned back to home and than was resent to town Bjelovar in Croatia. From that one there is no trace of him at all, but he did not come back home.

Thank you in advance.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Re: Looking for a soldier

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Tolmein and welcome to Feldgrau!

The German unit that this soldier of yours, Ramis Ahmetovic, served in was probably the 13. Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS "Handschar". You can search for "Handschar" both here, over at the forum at http://www.axishistory.com and on the Net for further information. Here's a link to a website with some bare bone facts about this particular unit...

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... derung.htm

There's also a book by Georg Lepre called "Himmler's Bosnian Division - The Waffen-SS Handschar Division 1943-1945" which is published by Schiffer, see link...

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffe ... 0764301349

Good luck with your research,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Tolmein

Post by Tolmein »

Thank you very much for your quick answer. I've further research your links and I've found the text (source: axix forum) about this unit.

The first Handschar mutiny occurred in Villefranche de Rouergue on 16-17 September 1943 within SS-Geb.Pi.Btl.13. An infiltrated communist agent started the affair and five German officers were murdered (SS-Obersturmführer Julius-Friedrich Galantha, SS-Obersturmbannführer Oskar Kirchbaum, SS-Obersturmführer Gerhard Kretschmer, SS-Hauptsturmführer Heinrich Kuntz & SS-Obersturmführer Anton Wolf, all from SS-Geb.Pi.Btl. 13). The mutiny was quelled within hours by elements of the battalion loyal to the Germans and order was quickly restored.
Two mutineers were killed in armed fighting: Ferid Dzanic and Lutfija Dizdarevic, fourteen others were shot after court-martial proceedings.

Can someone please list all the names of shooted soldiers. Maybe he was one of them.
I will be gratefull for any othe rinformation.
Tolmein

Post by Tolmein »

I'm attaching a picture of the soldier uniform where the sign of 13. Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS Handschar can be seen. I believe that this confirms, that the person was in this very unit.
Please advise.
Attachments
Dedo2.jpg
Dedo2.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again Tolmein!

Your photograph of the collar symbol does indeed confirm your man's unit as the 13. Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS "Handschar".

Regards,

Krollspell
Tolmein

Post by Tolmein »

Dear Doktor Krollspell.

I've found, that you've published some photos on the following link: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28353&p=198440&hil ... ar#p198440
But I can't open them. It is possible to publish them again or to mail me. I would like to check if there is also "our" soldier on the photos.
Is it also possible to get the soldiers list of this division.

Thanks.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again Tolmein!

I'm sorry to say that I do not have those photographs on my Hard drive anymore. I still recommend Lepre's book and the photographs that I once posted appears bothin books and on the Net.

With best regards,

Krollspell