M22 Locust

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

phylo_roadking
Patron

M22 Locust

Post by phylo_roadking »

As far as I can see - 260 M22 Locust light tanks were supplied to the British under Lend Lease - but only saw combat once, with 6th Airborne during Operation Varsity, the crossing of the Rhine. Even then - only EIGHT were used, and of these four were lost and only four reached the rendezvous point - where with their supporting infantry were able to hold their designated position until relieved...

However - this comes from a magazine article on the Locust, and I have nothing on Varsity - what combat did these four actually see, and against what?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Spinechicken
Supporter

Re: M22 Locust

Post by Spinechicken »

Only a little bit more information than what you've already got, but a quick flick through Harclerode's Go To It dug up this little tidbit on p.141:
Of the eight tanks flown in, only four reached the RV and of these only two were completely fit for action. The others were either missing or out of action. During the rest of the day the two servicable tanks were involved in engagements with the enemy [wonderfully vague!] and, with the support of a number of glider pilots and a platoon of the 12th Battalion the Devonshire Regiment, formed a strongpoint on the edge of the woods to the west of the divisional headquarters.
Not much admittedly, but I'll see what else I can find. Interestingly I've heard reference to "light tanks" being used by 6th Airborne in Normandy, but I don' think these could be Locusts.

Cheers,

-SC
"An American officer asked me once 'How on earth do you kill a Tiger?', so I told him to go and shoot it up the arse."

-A soldier of the 51st (Highland) Division
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I know 6th Airborne encountered a couple of beutepanzer FT-17s at static defences...so it could have been those that were being referred to.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Phylo, think I found something you might like (unless you already know of it),
and ALL the pictures too, etc. etc. etc.
Have a look through the "M22 History". Near the bottom
you'll find a map and link to... An action report!
Enjoy!
http://www.thelocustpage.tk/

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Excellent! Thanks for that.
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Thought you'd like it! :D
You're welcome.

waleed