Trip in th Bulge

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Andre Bert

Trip in th Bulge

Post by Andre Bert »

Hi,
the next march (20-24) I’m going to the Bulge and I’m planning an historical trip trough the places where the German troops launched the final attack against the allies in the Ardennes in december 1944.
Has anybody of you been there and can suggest me places that I must visit?
I’ve read the brochure of the Belgian tourism office and I’ve seen a lot of museums and interesting historical site to visit but I’m staying only for 4 days and I’ve to make some choices because I don’t have enough time.
I’m planning to visit:
• Bastogne (city,museum and cemetery)
• Malmedy (museum)
• La Gleize (tiger II and museum)
• La Roche En Ardenne (museum)
• Sank Vith (museum)
I’m staying in the Ibis hotel in Dinant and I’ve also planned to go to Liegi,Namur and Bruxelless (where there’s an interesting military museum).
What can you suggest me?
Do you think I’ve made a good plan?
Thanks in advance.
Bye,
Andrea
John W. Howard

Clervaux

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Andre:
You might consider visiting Clervaux. It is a charming little town. It is surrounded by hillsides and there are nice places to stay there. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Andre Bert

Post by Andre Bert »

Thank you John for the information,Clervaux is a very nice city!
Lothar

Nat. Military Museum in Diekirch/Luxemburg

Post by Lothar »

Hi Andre,

an absolutely "Must" for a historic trip in the Ardennes is the National Military Museum in Diekirch/Luxemburg. It's completely related to the battle of the bulge. For information have a look on the website:

http://www.nat-military-museum.lu/

The distance from Bastogne and Clervaux to Diekirch is not too far (Clervaux-Diekirch approx. 25km on the N7/E421, direction south) and on that route you are passing most of the former combat zone.

Best regards

Lothar