Abwher sailing vessel Santa Barbara ?

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Simon_G
Supporter

Abwher sailing vessel Santa Barbara ?

Post by Simon_G »

During the war a French lobster yawl Passim was renamed Santa Barbara by the Abwher. It successfully crossed the atlantic several times smuggling people and goods to and from South America.

Is there any history available of the vessel's voyages and does anybody know her fate after the war ?
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Simon and welcome to Feldgrau!

Follow the link to the story of the Passim and it's Abwehr skipper and RKT Leutnant z. S. Heinrich Garbers...

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 4&start=30

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
crolick

Post by crolick »

Good story Krollspell :up:
Thanks! :[]
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Thank you very much Crolick! :D My only wish is that more members could contribute with stories and anectodes (photographs of course!) of the Ritterkreuzträger. That particular thread is sadly neglected in my humble opinion... :(

When it comes to the Abwehr sailing on the Seven Seas, there's a short chapter (ca. 15 pages) dealing with Die Geistersegler der Abwehr in Franz Kurowksi's "Deutsche Kommandotrupps 1939-1945 - Brandenburger und Abwehr im weltweiten Einsatz: Band II" (2003).
I know that many members and historians have second doubts about the multitude of published works by Franz Kurowski and I more or less agree with their critical views but still, Kurowski has written a lot about minor subjects that not so many other author had. So just read him with those critical eye glasses on your nose... :wink:

With best regards,

Krollspell :[]
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)