Numbers of female auxillaries

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Numbers of female auxillaries

Post by John Kilmartin »

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone could give me a source for comparing the number of women in the German armed forces to those in the forces of Germany's allies.
Thanks in advance,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
Beershark
Supporter

Post by Beershark »

That is a very precise question that you are posing ! The best answer that I can give is that during WW2 the Germans never fully mobilised, even when they called up the so called "stomach brigades" who were men on special diets due to stomach complaints. Whereas we all know the story of "Rosie the Riveter" who exemplified the Americans virtually total call-up. As for the British, well the fact that they formed their famous "Dad's Army" composed of pensioners and young boys goes a long way towards indicating just how many they would have impressed into war service............perhaps now is a good time to offer praise to the famous "Piccadilly Commando's", British women who gave very good service ! - does anyone know what I am talking about here ?
tallus83

Post by tallus83 »

Yes, and we SHOULD let that area drop.

The British had a large number of women who served in the ATS (Auxiliary Territorial Service or Army), the WRAF, and the WRN. I don't think they would appreciate being compared to the aformentioned ladies.