U boot modelling question

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Professer

U boot modelling question

Post by Professer »

I am assembling a Revell 1/72 scale Type VIIc class Uboot model and am wondering about whether or not there was a muzzle cap on the end of the large deck cannon or did they leave it open to the sea. I am trying to model this kit as accurate as I can and any help will be greatly appreciated!! Also, if anyone knows who makes a model crew for a U boot in this scale , that would be great to get the name of the manufacturer! Thanx in advance!!
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Take a look thru http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com there's someone on there that does KM crew for exactly this purpose! Can't remember who or of the pack is current, but it'll give to info to go hunting on Ebay!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Hello Professer.

The U-boats had a plug at the end of the deck gun to keep the sea water out. The breach was covered in grease, loads of it, to keep it as water tight as possible. There were instances when crews forgot to remove this plug before firing the deck gun......
Mike Higgins
Supporter

Post by Mike Higgins »

CMK and Revell Germany make 1/72 scale U-boat men, CMK will be resin and the Revell will be in a soft plastic, you should be able to find what you need here. http://www.squadron.com
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

There were instances when crews forgot to remove this plug before firing the deck gun......
As in the attempt to bombard the Shell Oil depot on Aruba in the Carribean; three crewmen were killed, and the sub's second-in-command had to be put ashore in a neutral port for medical attention, eventually loosing his leg to gangrene.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds