Acquitted and compensation

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

Acquitted and compensation

Post by Annelie »

I noticed in a paper article about an commander which was acquitted
of war crimes that compensation was paid to him for the months
of which he spent in jail.

Is this normal? I was wondering about others that were released
whether they too were given compensation? Whom would
pay this?
Annelie

Post by Andy H »

Ultimately its you & me the tax payer, though it may come from an official government body.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Annelie -

I think we will need some additional information before we can comment:

1. Was this a wartime or postwar event?
2. To what army did the accused belong and in what country did the alleged war crime occur?
3. In which country did the hearing/court-martial/trial and imprisonment occur and when?
4. Under what terms and conditions was the compensation paid and what was it based on (days of lost work?)?

I have never heard of such an arrangement, but if the accused was falsely charged and imprisoned as a result of prosecutorial misconduct and then hired attorneys to sue the arresting authority's government, I could see where a court might make such an award. This might occur in the post-1960 period, but probably not prior to that.

--Lorenz
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

The man was tried in Munich were he was acquitted. He
was from Slovakia
after he was captured and took charge of the Slovak section of a Nazi unit,
appeared exhausted as the judge explained the verdict and awarded him compensation for the months he spent in custody, bowing his head and closing his eyes.

“I always hoped it would come to a fair verdict,” told reporters afterward. “I’m relieved after these two years of mental torture.”
Annelie

Post by Lorenz »

Yes, I know the case. There was a lot of discussion about it over on Axis History Forum. Since the matter of compensation seems to be highly unusual, you might want to do a search on the case on AHF. Start with the fellow's last name or full name in the search block. IIRC, he was a Czech-speaking Abwehr Hauptmann who was second in command of a Frontaufklärungstrupp or Frontaufklärungskommando.

--Lorenz
Mobile Infantry
Supporter

Post by Mobile Infantry »

For those who understand german here´s an anrticle with the full story:
Freispruch für Niznansky

15 Monate lang musste sich der 88-jährige Ladislav Niznansky vor Gericht für den Vorwurf verantworten, 1945 an einem Massaker an Zivilisten beteiligt gewesen zu sein. Aus Mangel an Beweisen wurde der 88-jährige nun freigesprochen. Jetzt kann er mit Haftentschädigung rechnen.

Das Schwurgericht München I sah es nicht als erwiesen an, dass der heute 88-Jährige gegen Ende des Zweiten Weltkrieges für den Mord an 164 Zivilisten in der Slowakei mitverantwortlich war. Das Gericht sprach Niznansky außerdem eine Entschädigung für neun Monate Untersuchungshaft zu. Es folgte damit dem Antrag der Verteidigung.

Die Staatsanwaltschaft hatte lebenslange Haft verlangt. Niznansky trage als damaliger Kommandeur der slowakischen Kompanie in der Partisanenabwehrgruppe „Edelweiß“ Mitschuld an den Massakern.

„Der Angeklagte hat keine Erschießungen vorgenommen, es konnte auch nicht festgestellt werden, dass er den Befehl dazu gegeben hat“, fasste der Vorsitzende Richter Manfred Götzl die Ergebnisse des gut 15 Monate langen Prozesses zusammen.

Es sei um den Vorwurf des Mordes gegangen, nicht um Brandlegung, Körperverletzung und andere Delikte. Diese Delikte wären inzwischen verjährt. Götzl wies zudem darauf hin, „dass es kaum noch Zeugen gibt, von denen das Gericht sich einen unmittelbaren Eindruck hätte machen können“.

Der Vorsitzende zweifelte auch die Unabhängigkeit eines Gerichtsverfahrens von 1962 in der damaligen Tschechoslowakei an, auf das sich Staatsanwalt Konstantin Kuchenbauer maßgeblich stützte. Selbst in diesem Verfahren sei im Laufe der Beweisaufnahme nicht festgestellt worden, dass einer der Angeklagten am Massenmord an Zivilisten beteiligt war.

Damals war Niznansky unter anderem wegen Hochverrats in Abwesenheit zum Tode verurteilt worden. Mehrere Zeugen hatten ihre damaligen Aussagen aber widerrufen, weil sie erzwungen worden seien.

Kuchenbauer hatte lebenslange Haft wegen gemeinschaftlichen Mordes verlangt und auch eine besondere Schwere der Schuld gesehen. Niznansky habe seiner slowakischen Kompanie den Befehl gegeben, „keine lebendige Seele“ dürfe entkommen.

Dorfbewohner entlasteten Niznanskys Einheit

Überlebende Dorfbewohner hatten aber SS- und Heimatschutz-Männer als Täter beschrieben. Niznansky hatte jede Beteiligung an Liquidierungen bestritten. Das Gericht hatte ihn bereits nach der Anhörung des vermeintlichen Hauptbelastungszeugen vor einem Jahr aus der Untersuchungshaft entlassen.

Bei den Massakern waren Anfang 1945 in den Dörfern Ostry Grun und Klak 146 Menschen, darunter 48 Frauen und 48 Kinder, ermordet worden. Wenig später wurden in Ksinna 18 Juden getötet.

Anwalt Steffen Ufer hatte in seinem Plädoyer argumentiert, sein Mandant habe keine Befehlsgewalt ausgeübt. Niznansky sei gar nicht in der Position gewesen, Tötungsbefehle zu geben. Ihn treffe keine strafrechtliche Schuld an den schrecklichen Massakern. Niznansky selbst hat stets seine Unschuld beteuert.

(dpa/AP)
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/artikel/468/66402/

And here a very short summary:
Mr. N. was trialed in Munich but after 15 months the verdict was "not guilty" because the judges thought that there is not enough proof that he was guilty. "In dubio pro reo".
So he has spend some months in imprisonment on remand before he was set free again. It´s german law that he can claim compensation now for that time.
As all soldiers know since thousands of years death is not noble. It´s just very final.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

And here a very short summary:
Mr. N. was trialed in Munich but after 15 months the verdict was "not guilty" because the judges thought that there is not enough proof that he was guilty. "In dubio pro reo".
So he has spend some months in imprisonment on remand before he was set free again. It´s german law that he can claim compensation now for that time.
Since the law acquitted him of the charges I think he should be
compensatated for time imprisoned. My only interest was
because I don't remember hearing previously anyone acquitted being compensated.

Thankyou
Annelie

Post by phylo_roadking »

Its actually very common in a lot of European legal systems nowadays.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

And rightly so!

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

I am in favour of compensation for people found not guilty.

However, the Scottish legal system has an intermediate category of "Not Proven". This basically means that while the evidence is not sufficient to convict beyond reasonable doubt, reasonable doubt remains. In such cases, where the defendant might be considered fortunate to have escaped conviction, I wouldn't support compensation.

It would appear that this man may fall into this category.

Anyway, properly constituted law is properly consituted law and he is entitled to his compensation under German jurisdiction by right.

Cheers,

Sid.