Marinestoßkompanie - "Westerplatte" 1939

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Hi tigre,

It can be gen. Eberhardt - IIRC he was the commander of German units in the Gdansk/Danzig area.
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
tigre
Patron

"Westerplatte" 1939 - pics

Post by tigre »

Thank you Njorl, it sounds logical. does someone has another gen. Eberhardt's photo to compare? TIA. Regards. Tigre.
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

I think I have seen photos of Eberhardt in two Polish books. From memory one is titled something like "Gdynia 1939" and the other is its second volume which I think goes under a different title including the word "Oksywie".

Both are extremely well produced books, with masses of original documentation and first rate maps.

Happy hunting.

Cheers,

Sid.
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Hello Gentlemen,

It seems he indeed is Generalmajor Eberhardt :!:

See this http://www.ullsteinbild.de/search.php?s ... olen&date=

The caption for this photo is:
Kapitulation der polnischen Besatzung der Westerplatte: Major Sucharski, Kommandant der polnischen Garnison der Westerplatte im Gespräch mit Generalmajor Eberhardt 09.09.1939
Cheers!
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
tigre
Patron

Generalmajor Eberhardt 09.09.1939

Post by tigre »

Thank you again Njorl, the doubt was finally solved. Cheers. Tigre.
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

sid guttridge wrote:...goes under a different title including the word "Oksywie".
Oksywie is a quarter of Gdynia, north from harbour.
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Oxhöft :wink:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Yes. Oksywie was changed to Oxhöft 1939 - 1945. like Litzmanstadt 8)
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

SOrry , Pirx , thats pure Torquism :roll:

The oldest mentioning of Oxhöft I could found so far is dated 1289 ...

A few days before 1939 , isn't it ? :wink:

Jan-Hendrik
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Sorry J-H. Thats pure Torquizm.
Not Oxhöft but oldest is Oxihoved in XII - XIII century, from prescandinavian language. later we can find: Oxsiua, Oxive, Okciua, Oxue, Oxivia, Oxiuia, Oxiwia, Oxiew, Oxivija. That was name of penisula, not town.
Germans had nothing common with that but rather Vikings.
Oxhöft only 1939 - 1945.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Don't try to split hairs :wink:

If you want it that way we can say it was called Oksywie after the polish occupation in 1920 :D

Jan-Hendrik
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi J-H,

Why is it OK for you to find an earlier reference to Oxhoft, but as soon as Pirx trumps that with an even older one that isn't even Polish he is splitting hairs? Please cut him a bit of slack. Not every Pole is a Torquez.

Gdynia itself illustrates how contrived such name changes could be. The pre-1918 fishing village had the perfectly good historical German name of Gdingen. However, when the 100 times larger Polish city of Gdynia (99% built by Poland between the wars) was captured by Germany in 1939 it was renamed not Gdingen but Gotenhafen.

Cheers,

Sid.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Oksywie was changed to Oxhöft 1939 - 1945. like Litzmanstadt

This was pure Torquism as the village was called Oxhöft until the polish occupation in 1920 :wink:

And , dear Sid , I know very well that apart of the Kaczkies and our very own Torqui there are only very few Poles living in this world of "polish fairy tales" , I have been often enough there , and , by the way , tomorrow I will take a trip to Poland again , not so far away from Gdingen :wink:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi J-H,

I didn't actually mention the "Torquism". I mentioned a different post in which you mentioned "splitting hairs".

That said, just because something may be a "Torquism" doesn't make it wrong. In so far as it went, Pirx's remark that "Oksywie was changed to Oxhoft 1939-1945. like Litzmanstadt" was accurate, just as your counter that "The oldest mentioning of Oxhoft I could find so far is dated 1289...." was presumably accurate, in so far as it went, and Pirx's counter-counter "Oxihoved in XII-XIII Century from pre-Scandinavian language" was also presumably accurate, in so far as it went.

If Pirx is engaged in "Torquing" or splitting hairs on this thread, so are you and I. Can't we just put the various layers of information out there without extraneous associations?

Cheers,

Sid.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Oksywie was changed to Oxhoft 1939-1945. like Litzmanstadt
Sid , you seem not to understand that this comparison is pure BS :wink:

Lodz was in germann never named "Litzmannstadt" before 1939 , the same goes for Gdingen which the Nazis called "Gotenhafen" .

Au contraire , Oxhöft was the official designation of this village long before 1939 , so reminding the vikings or so on is "hair-Splitting" in this context , nothing more .

Jan-Hendrik