88mm flak 18

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

zanzare

88mm flak 18

Post by zanzare »

Greetings I own a German 88mm flak 18 with special trailer 202 that has been restored. I am interested in placing correct emblems on the gun. It has been designated as "A" (anton). Would like to place it in the 22nd Infantry Division. I have the 22nd Inf. Div. emblem design. The 22nd Inf. Div. had a Flak Battalion designed as Flak Abt (mot) 22. Does anyone know anything about this Battalion it's emblem or its markings and whether there were 88mm Flak 18 in this unit. I also found weapons markings for a 88mm which is a upward facing arrow with a circle on the lower end of the arrow shaft. There are some numbers next to the arrow which I do not fully understand. The only one I can understand is th 8.8 on the lower left side of the arrow. There is a 4 ? below the circle and a number ? at the top of the arrow. Do not know it the fact that the Battalion was motorized would alter this weapons marking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Zanzare
Grzesio

Post by Grzesio »

Sorry for not answering your question, but I have yet another one.
A standard undercarriage for the 8,8 cm Flak 18 was the SdAh 201, while SdAh 202 was used for the Flak 36 and 37. These undercarriages were absolutely not interchangeable, due to different lower carriages of the guns.
You say, you own an 8,8 cm Flak 18 with SdAh 202 - so my question is: are you absolutely sure of the actual gun version or - what's far more interesting - I've seen a couple of pictures of very strange 8,8 cm Flak L/56's looking like the Flak 18 with lower carriage converted to the Flak 36 or 37 fashion (and accepting SdAh 202 indeed); nobody knows anything about them - while they look as a factory production - and I suspect they could be a foreign version, probably Romanian or so; maybe it's one of them?

Kind regards

Grzesio
kstdk

Re: 88mm flak 18

Post by kstdk »

Hello Zanzare

I for one also find that very interesting. Would "love" to see some photos of this "animal" :shock:
zanzare wrote:Greetings I own a German 88mm flak 18 with special trailer 202 that has been restored. Zanzare
Hope you would find the time to take some good pictures for us ??

Regards
Kurt
kstdk.
zanzare

Post by zanzare »

Hi Sorry but I am new to this Forum and I have not figured out how to attach pictures to messages. My E- mail is [email protected]. Please send me your E-mail address and I will send you many pictures that I have of the 88. Would appreciate you helping to identify the piece if you can.

zanzare[/img]
zanzare

88 Flak18

Post by zanzare »

After some additional research I have been informed that the 88 that I thought was a Flak 18 with a special trailer 202 is in fact a Flak 37 with a special trailer 202. I will be needing parts for the new restoration and would appreciate any information on parts sources. I will need the four communications cable reels that attach to the fenders, one complete fuze setter and a fuze indicator dial. Any help is appreciated. I would like to thank Kurt and Grzesio who helped me with identifying the piece.

Zanzare