Who was the most inept German General?

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Apothis
Supporter

Who was the most inept German General?

Post by Apothis »

I would vote for Hienrich Himmler. When he took over Army Group Centre, it was virtually annhilated by the Soviets.
RSW

Post by RSW »

Hi Apothis!
Two words: Hermann Goring. He would get my vote ahead of all others. This man can be called many things, majority not good. His turning point for me is the retreat of the British at Dunkirk. Just imagine the possibilities had the German Air Force took a more strategic stance in the retreat at Dunkirk. The British could have been dealt a terminal blow had the Luftwaffe been under different leadership and guidance. Heck, the British were sitting ducks on those beaches and on those escape ships, a strong airforce under effective and proactive leadership could have brought the Brits to her knees. The rest of the war just illustrates the total demise and fall of the german air force as an effective weapon. The Battle of Berlin, defeat at Stalingrad, one could go on and on.
That is enough ranting for me, Goring deserves to be at the top of the class of worst generals!
Regards,
Robert
Apothis
Supporter

Very Good Choice RSW

Post by Apothis »

Goering proved his ineptness with all his failed promises to Hitler.
RSW

Post by RSW »

So true!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Inept Generals

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I'd have to weigh in on the Goering side of this, but is that totally accurate? I mean, he wasn't technically a general. Without a doubt, he was the most inept Reichsmarshal, but...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

In defence of Goering, I would like to point out that he was also incomparably the best Reichsmarshal.

This is unarguable, so don't waste your time trying.

Cheers,

Sid.
Apothis
Supporter

To Sid

Post by Apothis »

Only because he was the only Reichsmarshal.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Bugger! Found out again.

Sid.
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

True generals then?

I'ld say Ferdinand Schörner, he did make a good defense of the Nikopol bridgehead as Army corps commander, but that guy should never have been made commander of a Heeresgruppe. No brilliant actions.. he did have a truly capable chief of staff at one time Oldwig von Natzmer, who apparently was disgusted by Schörner.

Hermann Fegelein and Sepp Dietrich complete my top-three.
Dietrich suffered from the same lack of mental abilities that plagued Schörner , which again were compensated for by a great Chief of staff later on in the war and a truly excellent fighting unit early on in the war.

In their defense it can be said, that Dietrich was instrumental in creating LSSAH.
Schörner and both Dietrich were also great inspiration to their soldiers according to some people.
Whatever they were, they were no army-commanders

And how it was possible for Fegelein to have won the swords to the KC baffles me to this day.

eric
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Ericv, I've run acros Fegelein in my readings of the early war in Russia and it appears that he actually was both a competant and brave officer. I can recall that Kampfgruppe Fegelein in late 1942 to early 1943 performed well under particularly harrowing circumstances during the Russian Offensives after Stalingrad. This was after the Russian had destroyed the Italian and Rumanian forces on the Don and Kampfgruppe Fegelein, a really "scratch" outfit was one of the few cohesive forces left in that portion of the Front.

I'm not a fan of Fegelein, but his military record was better than one would assume.
Best Regards, David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

Hi commisar,

I've come across different opinions in my readings as well, there are those that say that he was indeed competent and brave, there are those that reflect an entirely different opinion, his bravery his never questioned though..

As far as I can remember, it was mostly his fellow countrymen (officers and soldiers) that didn't have a high regard of his capabilities as a Truppenführer.. (even though they knew that the units Fegelein commanded were performing rather well at times.)

Think that we should ask Mark (c. Yerger), after all he did write a book about the SS-Kavalleriebrigade.. whch was commanded by Fegelein

regards

eric
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

btw: My condolences for the downfall of the communism in Russia..

Do not despair however: There are still more than a billion left in China and Cuba and Norht Korea..

:wink:
MWellner
Supporter

Post by MWellner »

Herman Goering, a morphine addict
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Ericv wrote:
btw: My condolences for the downfall of the communism in Russia..

Do not despair however: There are still more than a billion left in China and Cuba and Norht Korea..
Heh Heh! You just made an old relic like myself chuckle! :D

But you're right, Mark Yerger could give us a better perspective in Fegelein. I haven't read his book and tend to stay away from SS subjects--I was just surprise at the referenes to Fegelein's early career
by other authors, including David Glantz. He seemed to have peformed well. But, I imagine a couple of winters in the fields of Russia might make anyone look for an assignment in Berlin....

My vote for worst German commander has always been Field Marshall Ernst Busch, who presided over the destruction of Army Group Center in 1944. He never seems to have "caught up" with the actual battle and was unable to salvage any major unit from it.

Best Regards, David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

He commisar..

you're welcome!!

btw: Totally agree with your nomination of Busch, he was the wrong man at the wrong place.
Model, Heinrici or von Kluge could have saved the armygroup, although non would have been able to stem the soviet advance, they still would have given the soviets a hard time and later on 500.000 battle hardened soldiers on the Weichsel!!!!

Your fellow commisars would not have liked that at all :D

regards

eric