Normandy atrocities

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Morden
Supporter

Normandy atrocities

Post by Morden »

I would like to ask you for little help.

I'm looking for stories of german and allied soldiers concerning atrocities committed during Normandy fighting. I'm most interested in area of british sector - what means 12SS and 3Cnd clash and Polish 1AD during fighting in Falais pocket.

I would appreciate if you could post your sources (or links). This is extremly important for me.

Thanks in advance,
Morden

ps. Maybe such topic exists already, but I couldn't find it.
smaug
Supporter

Post by smaug »

Hi Morden,
Alot is been written about these events, and many discusions folowed,
The link below, is a good read,

http://www.valourandhorror.com/DB/ISSUE/POWs.php

regards Henk/
TYR

Re: Normandy atrocities

Post by TYR »

Morden wrote:I would like to ask you for little help.

I'm looking for stories of german and allied soldiers concerning atrocities committed during Normandy fighting. I'm most interested in area of british sector - what means 12SS and 3Cnd clash and Polish 1AD during fighting in Falais pocket.

I would appreciate if you could post your sources (or links). This is extremly important for me.

Thanks in advance,
Morden

ps. Maybe such topic exists already, but I couldn't find it.
Please do a search on the topic here.Alot of discussions have taken place on this subject.http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ies+france
Also,pick up 12 SS Division Hitlerjugend by H.Meyer.A lot of information and Stackpole books has released the history in a two volume paperback set.
Not as elegant as the JJF book but less expensive.
Good luck.
STRENGTH & HONOR
TYR

Post by TYR »

Also try Michael Reynolds book "Steel Inferno",about the 1SS Korps in Normandy.Covers it all in great detail. 8)
Good luck.
STRENGTH & HONOR
Bittrich
Contributor

Normandy

Post by Bittrich »

I watched "Fields of Armor" today on the Military Channel (U.S.) which covered Normandy. Although the program is a half an hour they did cover attoricites committed by the Allies.

If you live here in the states you should keep an eye out for it. Guderians son and a few other German vets along with British vets give interviews on the fierce fighting.

Aside from that Meyers book as mentioned and Reynolds would be excellent sources on the subject.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

23 POW Canadians soldiers were shot by the 12 SS HitlerJugend during the Battle of Normandy.

Regards
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Good source for Allied and German atrociteis in Normandy

Caen: Anvil of Victory - Alex Mckee

See the chapter "No prisoners taken on either side that day."

Rather even handed approach to this by an author who relied on first hand accounts and who was himself involved the campaign.

Recent accounts by US and British veterans have been remarkably frank about this - German accounts less so - having lost the war they can still be prosecuted.

cheers
Reb
Bittrich
Contributor

Post by Bittrich »

Reb,

Sounds like an excellent book. I'll have to try to get a copy. Aside from Hubert Meyers account the only other book I found books but authors such as De Estes Decision in Normandy to be slanted toward the allied side concering attrocities. He mentions Kurt Meyers escape from Failaise pocket that he escaped with a guide. He fallows that up with a comment such as no doubt at gun point. So I take his book at face value only.

Meyers account at least points out that the allies also committed attrocites as well even if he does not go into detail about the German ones.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
PaulJ
Contributor

Post by PaulJ »

I would suggest Meeting of Generals by Tony Foster.

It was written by a Canadian journalist. His father was Brigadier (later Maj-Gen) Harry Foster, commander of a Canadian infantry brigade in Normandy. In that campaign, the elder Foster faces SS-BrigadeFuehrer Kurt Meyer, the famous "Panzer Meyer" of the 12th SS Pz Div. After the war, Foster winds up President of the military court trying Meyer for warcrimes. The book traces the life stories of each man from childhood to Normandy, and recounts the trial and subsequent events.

I also suggest Conduct unbecoming: The story of the murder of Canadian prisoners of war in Normandy by Howard Margolian.
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra
http://tactical-airpower.tripod.com