Was 4th Parachute Division in occupation of Italy, Sept. '43

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Was 4th Parachute Division in occupation of Italy, Sept. '43

Post by sid guttridge »

According to one report 4th Parachute Division began formation near Venice in Italy in May 1943. If so, it was presumably still in theatre when Italy's defection took place in September. However, I have seen no mention of its participation in Operation Achse. It seems to only have become fully operational in January 1944.

Can anyone clarify whether 4th Parachute Division was present in Italy or not in September 1943 and, if so, what did it do?

Many thanks,

Sid.
Peter

some info...

Post by Peter »

Formation begun 5.11.43 (to be completed 1.2.44) in Venedig (Venice), from the following units: I./FJR.2, II./FJR.6 and I./Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment 1 (all ex. 2. Fallschirm-Jäger-Division). A large number of Italian paratroopers from the Divisions Dembo and Folgore joined the new division.
Formation was completed February 1944, and the division went into combat at Anzio, under I.FsAK / AOK.14. The division remained in Italy until the end.
5.45, surrendered between Viacenza and Bozen.

((source:- Luftwaffe 1933 - 1945 webpage http://www.ww2.dk/ ))
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Thanks Peter,

Your contibution mirrors almost exactly the informaton I already have, but it still leaves open the position and role of the embryonic 4th Parachute Division in September 1943.

Cheers,

Sid.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Peter,

One more thing to clarify the situation: when you write your dates do you do so in the British or American style?

i.e. Does 5/11/43 mean 5 November 1943 (British style) or 11 May 1943 (American style)?

Thanks,

Sid.
Peter

dates

Post by Peter »

I just took them from the webpage I mentioned. I do not know what kind of it are British or American style... (sorry)
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

I agree, 4th FJ Division had been formed after italian armistice....5/11/43 as 5 November 1943, exchanging european and american notation is a common mistake

Lupo
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Peter and Lupo Solitario,

I am inclined to agree that November 1943 is more likely. I was initially suspicious of the May 1943 date because at that stage there had never yet been a permanent German ground presence in Italy.

Cheers,

Sid.
C.G.
Supporter

Post by C.G. »

4th Para Division wasn't formed anywhere near Venice but in central Italy:
FJR 11 in the area of Trevi, FJR 12 area of Terni and Narni (Via Flaminia); FJR 10 ?; F.Pi.Bn. 4 in the area of Perugia. The italia para regt. Folgore was formed and trained in and around Spoleto. It started its actions against partisans in that area.
Of course 4th Para didn't take part in the occupation of Italy in September 1943. Only its "parents units" from 2. Para were involved.
C.G.
Robert Hurst
Supporter

4th Parachute Division in Occupation of Italy in Sept 1943

Post by Robert Hurst »

Hi Sid

According to Hitler's Legions, by Samuel W. Mitcham, the above division was formed at Perugia, Italy, from cadres taken from 2nd Parachute Division and from the Italian "Folgore and Nembo" Parachute Divisions.

It first went into action in January 1944 against the American beachhead at Anzio, where it was apart of General Schlemm's I Parachute Corps. The 4th Parachute Division was more or less in continuous action on the Italian Front for the next sixteen months and fought in the battles north of Florence, at Rimini, Bologna, and in the struggle for the Gothic Line. In, 1945 it fought its last battle at Verona, where it was surrounded and forced to surrender to the American forces on April 26.

Regards

Bob
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

C.G.
I'd been very curious to learn more about italian personnel inglobated in 4th FJD. Have you got some info about it?