What do YOU do to stay in shape?

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
DrStrangelove

Re: What do YOU do to stay in shape?

Post by DrStrangelove »

Cycling, with a TREK 7600, about 12.000 kilometers/year, or more...

I use the bike every day, to work and back, to work out, and to relax, on very long rides...

DrS
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Lately, I've been marching 15-20Km 3x a week w/a weighted pack. Training they call it.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Football (5,7 & 11 a-side) usually twice a week, though the old joints creak lol. Badminton (The fastest raquet sport in the world) twice or more during the season, or just once a week in the off season. Still play the odd game of Rugby but that is a young mans sport. Go cycling and swimming on occasion when the urge takes me.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Opa
Supporter

Post by Opa »

I am always in some form of shape (pear shaped, right now). I thought of skipping all calories except for beer, but since I still have to go to work decided to join Bally's. It's a daily battle.
Honny soit qui mal y pense!
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

I drag myself to the gym at least 4 evenings per week for cardio class and weight training class. I also do yoga whenever I can. I like the yoga the best. I've just joined a little local yoga studio.

I have a desk job and get no exercise ever so whatever I get, I get at the gym. However, as age progresses I'm finding it isn't quite enough anymore. My diedt isn't horrible, but I'm sure there is room for improvement. No soda or sugary drinks, mostly whole wheat breads, very little deep fried stuff, I'm not a candy eater or an habitual snacker. I do however love FOOD, pizza, cheeses, and coffees. I try to drink only one cup of coffee per day and lots of water. My overall weakness is portion control. I just can't get the hang of it, lol!
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Hallelujah !
I am in my 80's and do not have to be in shape anymore :D .
My kids and grandkids take everything out of my hands :( because Pappa is breakable you know. :oops:
So, i walk a little, putter in the garden a little, water the lawn a little, and since my better half is handicapped i am the chief cook and bottle washer at home.
Oh well.
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

Well I play football for my school, but I am not graduated so I will be playing for a professional European football club next year. In the summer I play frequently with friends.

I also go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I run over a mile to the gym, then I do weight-lifting workouts for about an hour. Then I bike 2 miles and swim about 1000 meters. Then I run back home and do an ab-workout.

Keeps me plenty fit. :D
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Good heavens K98.
What are you ??? some masochist or so ??? why would any sane person do all this to his own body ? :D
Did you know that walking (or marching) 3 miles a day, is already enough to be in reasonable shape ?
Who wants to be a primo canera anyway :D

So here is a part of an intervieuw:
A old man with grey beard, walks (shovels) each day through downtown, up and down 4th Ave, Portland OR, for four hours.
A reporter who has observed this asked him: It seems that for an old timer, you are in pretty good shape; what do you do other than walking, to get there. ???
The man answered: Well, I smoke about a pack or two a day of cheap cigarettes, drink about a quart of whiskey, each day; my morning meal is donuts and black coffee, for lunch i have more donuts and coffee, and for dinner I have a big fat hamburger, with fries and a beer.
Great scott, exclaims the reported, and actually how old did you get doing all of this ??
Twenty seven !!!
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Great scott, exclaims the reported, and actually how old did you get doing all of this ??
Twenty seven !!!

:D :D :D
Annelie

Post by sebastian »

just bought myself a secondhand motorcycle,it is already my 7th sportsbike,just love to ride it,and its like very intensive on the arms and body when riding,i always feel it good when i get home,a satisfying tiredness so to speak :D
Attachments
PICT0321.JPG
PICT0321.JPG (255.8 KiB) Viewed 11287 times
PICT0323.JPG
PICT0323.JPG (257.12 KiB) Viewed 11288 times
PICT0322.JPG
PICT0322.JPG (246.63 KiB) Viewed 11287 times
united we stand,divided we fall
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

When not using free weights at the gym or isometrics etc etc, I wrestle this through winding country roads. The snapshot was taken when I was still experimenting with cam timing as some of the internals are non-standard, hence the discoloration of the downpipes.

PK
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

thats a very nice bike,what type is it?
united we stand,divided we fall
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

I completed the "Dorset Doddle" last Sunday.

32 miles of gruelling climbs & Descents. (it's a walk)

It took me 10Hrs 33Mins.

I lost 12lbs! It was a hot day.
Thanks. Dave.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

thats a very nice bike,what type is it?
Sebastian, Paddy isn't around to answer this...

Going by the forks, it's a Vincent Series B Rapide.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Wilhelm Kruger

Post by Wilhelm Kruger »

Ride 5 miles on horseback to break in the new armeesattel, or the same on foot to break the new rig in. I have a large farm with a lot of good trails to use. I hunt all seasons, and fish too. Oh yeah, and I farm some. Eat whatever, but usually german-style. I smoke a pack or two of Luckies a week. And to top it off, I have the best drill instructor in the world: my Grandfather, a Korean war vet. He's good, but can be a hardass. However, I strongly recommend his methods to anyone interested in getting in shape.

Regards

Wilhelm
"Lay it close and keep it coming!" Erwin Rommel, 1916