Hunting and shooting are deviant hobbies, says Finnish psych

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.

Moderator: phylo_roadking

statemachine
Contributor

Re: Hunting and shooting are deviant hobbies, says Finnish psych

Post by statemachine » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:32 pm

It does seem that you get more people hunting for "sport" closer to big cities.A real shame to kill the animal and not use it.In the boonies people hunt for food,a family of four,the grocery bill for meat(provided you eat more than lettuce and carrots)will reach at least 5000 after tax dollars.
An unbreakable man

Reb
Patron

Post by Reb » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:11 pm

"As for ordinary citizens owning guns to prevent their government from taking total control,I think it's a bunch of bunk!"

Perhaps. But the govt swine that catch the bullets might think differently. Remember the old cliche - "I can't save ALL the poor starfish, but I can save this one." It works in reverse too.

Free speech and all that other crap is just baloney without a gat to back it up. Yamamoto and Stalin were put off by our well armed populace. Sam knows to think twice as well.

Call me old fashioned... :D

cheers
Reb

statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:56 am

I think the government would call you Bubba,Reb. :D
An unbreakable man

Reb
Patron

Post by Reb » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:28 am

statemachine

Bubba? Me? I'll guess I'll just meander back to the trailer and have another bowl of grits! 8)

cheers
Reb

phylo_roadking
Admin

Post by phylo_roadking » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:29 am

I think the government would call you Bubba,Reb.
No - I think they'd call him MISTER Bubba.... :evil:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds

statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:19 am

I will remain blissfully ignorant. 8)
An unbreakable man

Nate
Supporter

Post by Nate » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:50 pm

I am using a .50 caliber Hawken (black powder). I shot and then reload (pour in power, lay ball on patch and use ram rod).

No deer today, but it was fun sitting in the woods just the same.. :D
Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt !!

FightingCock

Post by FightingCock » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:31 am

Gentlemen, it's been quite a while since I've posted on these boards. I returned recently because I've had somewhat of a respite from my studies, and was looking for some juicy new reading material (I'm an accounting/finance/economics major and sometimes it gets a little dry :D ). Out of curiosity I clicked on the "Verboten" folder. As it happened I stumbled upon this thread.

I ordinarily avoid any remotely political threads on the many message boards I frequent. However, in this case, I feel an obligation to share my thoughts on something that I feel is an incredibly misunderstood phenomenon: personal gun ownership.

Many countries do not provide a constitutional protection for the right to bear arms to protect oneself and one's family from crime and tyranny. Unfortunately, government is a necessary evil and a self-serving entity. It should, therefore, surprise no one that responsible gun-ownership for law abiding citizens is looked upon with disdain by many large-government proponents. It is worth noting (despite the abundant, cliched use of these anecdotes), that virtually all of the deadliest, most inhumane regimes of the twentieth century enacted strict gun-control laws. This infamous club of dictators is populated by such "men" as Adolph Hitler, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot and Joseph Stalin.

I am by NO MEANS opposed to reasonable background checks and screening processes being applied to potential firearm purchasers. Such restrictions serve only to provide the majority of people the possibility of freedom from crime and personal danger. Too often, however, in these days of misguided political correctness, this reasonable pursuit has transformed into oppressive policies (as governmental schemes tend to do).

In my humble opinion, there is NO reason for a government to deny gun-ownership to law-abiding citizens. It's been proven time and time again that those who are criminally inclined to obtain firearms will do so regardless of local laws. In fact, if one observes the somewhat recent adoption of even more draconian gun laws by Great Britain, one would see a significant INCREASE in gun-related violence due to the vast increase in market share of the Eastern European gun-running organizations.

If a Utopian world order comes about, I'll be the first to lay down my arms and support legislature to force common citizens across the world to do the same. However, as a rational, skeptical individual, I'm not holding my breath.

Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:46 pm

The only truly utopian system is anarchism. Classical Greek thinkers like Plato and Zeno wrote of utopian societies governed by reason rather than authority. The concept in ancient Greek was expressed by the word anarchos, which can be translated as “without a leader, chief or king” or, simply, anarchism. The goal of true anarchists is the establishment of a society free of coercive authority of any kind but without any implication of disorder.

This philosophical approach to the state of man has always been anathema to ruling classes for obvious reasons, and attempts to establish such societies, even on small local scales, have met with concerted resistance, as the Diggers or True Levellers of mid-16th century England, for example, found to their cost. Essentially, the Diggers believed that if the common people formed self-supporting communes on common land, the ruling class would become redundant because there would be no tenants to pay their rents and no peasants to work their lands. Eventually, the ruling classes would have to join the communes as equal members or starve.

A few years ago in southern France, there was a group of people who established a barter system. An electrician might, for instance, rewire a farmer’s house in return for three months’ supply of milk, eggs and vegetables. A farmer might give a local mechanic an amount of fresh meat for converting his vehicles to run on methane, produced from cowshit and other organic material stockpiled by the commune for that purpose. They were arrested for tax evasion. Of course, it was more a case of tax avoidance, which is not illegal, but the finer points of legality tend to be overlooked by our democratic leaders whenever they perceive a threat to the status quo.

Their rejection of money as a unit of trade amongst themselves was certainly in the spirit of anarchism and it was that small gesture of quiet rebellion that had provoked such a reaction from the authorities. Although our rulers attempt to scare us with propaganda images depicting anarchists as violent, aggressive thugs, they do not see the pseudo-anarchists in question as a threat. However, they do see people who organise themselves into groups and opt out of the system as a very serious threat indeed, especially when it involves losing tax revenue.

For decades, our rulers have been buying off the redundant working classes with bribes in the form of social security benefits, financed by taxes levied on the decreasing number of Westerners contributing to the economy as it winds down. As the Bush years show, they have also been pillaging the economy to line their own pockets before the termite-ridden structure we call Western Civilisation comes crashing down. This is where the taxes and contributions we have been paying into the system since World War Two have gone.

It is hardly as if we were not warned. Back in 1997, when New Labour was blowing Cool Britannia, Clintonian America was swimming in money and rabid ragheads were a flickering television image in the background, George Soros upset his fellow moneybags by telling us: “I now fear that the untrammeled intensification of laissez-faire capitalism and the spread of market values into all areas of life is endangering our open and democratic society. The main enemy of the open society, I believe, is no longer the communist but the capitalist threat.”

Intelligent observers may have viewed Soros’s statement as little more than a fat cat’s attempt to exculpate himself before the mob came swarming over the walls but events have proven him right. Meanwhile, the usual spittle-flecked scaremongers continue trying to preserve the status quo with dire warnings of the imminent descent of Western Civilisation into anarchy. It makes a change from the usual warnings of the end of the World although the Eco-Nazis have that market share of the terrorisation industry well in hand. Rest assured, however, that the World cannot end, because. wherever you are, it is always tomorrow somewhere else. Moreover, anarchy cannot reign. Anarchy can only exist.

A further decade of George Soros’ “untrammeled capitalism” finds the economy imitating the Titanic, listing gently to port a few hours after the collision with the iceberg, with a few delusional rich people on the upper decks pretending everything is perfectly alright whilst those locked into the slowly flooding lower decks are very aware of impending oblivion. Meanwhile, the moneybags sit on dry land, cushioned by vast reserves of money, which is why, even if Westerners wish to send Capitalism the way of Communism and Fascism, Anarchism will never be allowed to catch on.

Even if we established such a state, the enacting of legislation to force people to lay down their arms would run contrary to the natural order. Whilst arms might not be needed within an anarchist society to protect oneself from one's immediate neighbours, they might be necessary to hunt food and to protect the commune from outsiders...and from those who would seek to set themselves above us.

In any case, our democratic leaders only bend to violence or the substantiated threat thereof, as the Provisional IRA and other armed resistance groups have shown us. The 'democratic process' they are always banging on about is a charade, as the increasing pressure on Ireland to hold another referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty so plainly shows. We voted No and they insist that we vote Yes. Meanwhile, the people of the other EU countries have not been allowed to vote on the Lisbon issue because, as France and Denmark showed the last time around, they would vote "the wrong way" from the viewpoint of our politicians and the moneybags who pull their strings.

As George Orwell wrote: "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or labourer’s cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." Of course, he wrote that before our democratic leaders deprived us of our rifles and pistols in Britain and much of the rest of Europe so that they could implement laws and agreements that suited them and their masters rather than the sheeple.

PK

Hans
Associate

Post by Hans » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:59 am

Hi Fightingcock,

Germany had strict gun controls under Hitler???????????????
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID

Reb
Patron

Post by Reb » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:34 am

Well said Paddy. I'm loosely associated with the Mises.org group of the Austrian school of Anarcho Capitalism. I hooked up with those folks (as much as I 'hook up' with anyone) because their approach to economics (see Murray Rothbard's writing at LewRockwell.com) seems to me to be common sense.

I stopped writing for them (at least for now) because their anti-war stance, while rational, included more accomodation than I'm willing to make with the left. I don't regard war as the ultimate horror, just one of many...slavery to the state is probably the ultimate horror and we're well on the way to that.

Merry Christmas
Michael (Reb)

KennithPolk

Post by KennithPolk » Thu May 11, 2017 4:17 am

I think there is nothing wrong with hunting. We eat meat of dead animals anyway. Also the hunter's instinct rests in us all.
You can run into here and try your luck wit Ming Dynasty Slot.