World War II Germany

Miniatures, board wargames and computer games related to WWII.
WEMorris

World War II Germany

Post by WEMorris »

I was at the Chicago Toy Soldier Show this past weekend and was standing next to a gentleman who asked one of the vendors why there wasn't more U.S. Tanks, Halftracks, figures, etc. compared to the German Army. The vendor really couldn't answer his question, he didn't know why. I got to looking around and it was overwhelming how much more German rather than U.S. or Russia equipment. Does anyone have an answer why that is? The gentleman thought that our society loves the evil that Germany represented during the war. I don't think that is the answer, but I really don't know why?
I think it has to do with the different equipment and uniforms that appeal to collectors. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has a answer to this question.

Wally
John W. Howard

Re: World War II Germany

Post by John W. Howard »

I have a feeling it has more to do with an interest in the unknown. American equipment is familiar to most Americans; one can see a Sherman tank in town squares and in front of the VFW, but German equipment is not so easily seen here in the States, so it is only natural that an American might be curious and want to familiarize himself with another countries equipment. Another factor is the variety of German AFVs and aircraft used during the war. There is also the quality factor at work; German AFV's and aircraft have a legendary status, more so than American equipment. It would figure that someone here in the States would see some sinister reason behind someone's interest in German equipment; the Americans of today see a conspiracy or sinister reason behind everything America does; kudos to our leftist educational system. Best wishes.
John W. Howard